Removing quotation marks around values

ggounder

I have a worksheet containing cells with values enclosed in quotation marks (see attached image). I was wondering how to remove the quotation marks and simply leave the actual value in the cell. e.g. In the image: in cell B2 i have the value "D1", but i want to remove the quotes and just have the value D1 - no quote marks. Ideally I would like to apply this quote mark removal to the entire worksheet.

j0oQB.png

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Select the entire data (click in B1 and Press CTRL + A), Edit > Replace, in the What box enter "", leave the other box blank and ckick OK.

Upvote 0
Select the entire data (click in B1 and Press CTRL + A), Edit > Replace, in the What box enter "", leave the other box blank and ckick OK.

Hi VoG Thanks for your quick reply. I tried your suggestion (I'm using Office 2007, so I clicked the find&select icon in the home ribbon then selected replace).

I put "" in the Find what box, then left the replace with box blank. When I hit Replace All i got a message saying Excel couldn't find any data to replace.

Is the process different for Excel 2007? Do I need to use wildcards of some sort? I tried to put "*" in the find what box and left the replace with box blank, but nothing happened to any of the cells with quotes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your data seems pretty innocuous so can you upload it to a site like www.box.net. It may be specially formatted to display the "" but cannot check without seeing the file.

Upvote 0
You should only replace " not "". You want to find all " in the document and replace with a blank instead.

Upvote 0
You should only replace " not "". You want to find all " in the document and replace with a blank instead.

Hi henrik2h, I tried putting just one quote mark and unchecked the box for match entire cell contents. I also left the replace with box blank (did not even put a space in it) It found all instances of the quotes, but it left the cell untouched and the quotes remained. I then put a space in the replace with box and sure enough, it removed the quote marks, but obviously left a space infront of and after the data in the cell, which is not ideal.

I should also mention that this data has been imported from a text file, using VBA code. All the data in text file contains quote marks around it too. i used the following line of VBA code to capture the data in the text files:

Code:
temp = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile(myDir & "\" & fn).ReadAll

As per VoG's suggestion I am currently trying to upload the excel file (saved in 2003 format) to box.net, will post link to file shortly.

Upvote 0
Replacing " (that's one double quotation mark) with nothing worked fine for me.

Upvote 0
Home > Find and replace then following my earlier destructions worked: Replace "with nothing

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mparcado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back