Removing quotation marks around values

ggounder

I have a worksheet containing cells with values enclosed in quotation marks (see attached image). I was wondering how to remove the quotation marks and simply leave the actual value in the cell. e.g. In the image: in cell B2 i have the value "D1", but i want to remove the quotes and just have the value D1 - no quote marks. Ideally I would like to apply this quote mark removal to the entire worksheet.

j0oQB.png

Home > Find and replace then following my earlier destructions worked: Replace "with nothing

VoG - When you say replace " with nothing, do you mean to say leave the 'replace with' box completely empty, or put a space in that box? Because when I leave it completely empty it does nothing to each instance of a quote it finds.

I can remove the actual quotes by putting a space in the 'replace with' box, but this then leaves a problem of having a space before and after the value in the cell, which could cause issues later when assigning variables to these values in VBA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
It worked for me with your example file. Replace " replacement = nothing,

Upvote 0
It worked for me with your example file. Replace " replacement = nothing,

Thanks VoG, but very peculiar, it doesn't seem to be working for me at all. I left the 'replace with' box completely blank (not even a space in there) and nothing happens.

I will just have to replace the " instances with a space in the replace with box and hopefully i will not come up with issues when passing these values as variables.

I should also note that all cells in the worksheet are set to text in the format category.

Upvote 0
Thanks VoG, but very peculiar, it doesn't seem to be working for me at all. I left the 'replace with' box completely blank (not even a space in there) and nothing happens.

I will just have to replace the " instances with a space in the replace with box and hopefully i will not come up with issues when passing these values as variables.

I should also note that all cells in the worksheet are set to text in the format category.

Hi Guys, Strangest thing happened. When I closed out the workbook and re-opened it, Your suggestions to put " in the 'Find what' box and nothing (not even space) in the 'replace with' box worked!!

Goes to show that old adage, "have you tried turning it off and on again", often solves the problem. Thank you all for your fast input, it is highly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back