Require cell entries before macro button is visible

KGee

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Is it possible to force users to make a valid entry in three different cells before a button with an assigned macro is visible or clickable?

For example, I want them to complete cells A5, B5 & C5. The first is a dept. code which can only be numeric (01 - 08). The second is the month (01 - 12). And the third would correspond to the year (2000 - maybe 2020?).

I have the workbook set to go to A5 on open and don't want them to leave A5 until a valid dept. code is entered. Then make it go to B5, etc. Once all three are complete and valid, I want the command button to be visible/clickable.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
The validation you can do with Data -> Validation. Just click the cell you want, then choose what type of data you want in the cell. You can also set custom warning messages if you'd like (eg. "There are no exclamation points in dates, moron."

As for limiting entry to only those three cells, I'd protect the whole worksheet and just unlock those three. Then when there is data in all three you can turn off the protection in the same code you use to make the macro button visible.

As for making sure your data is all entered before proceeding, I'd put some If statements in the Worksheet_Change event that looks to see if A5 is empty, then looks at B5, then at C5. If if gets down past C5, then unlock the sheet and make the button visible.

Upvote 0
Put this in the sheets code module
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
ActiveSheet.Shapes("Button 2").Visible = (Application.CountA(Range("A5,B5,C5")) = 3)
End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm sure there is a more sophisticated way, but you could use conditional formatting.

If you start with some blank cells and an "and" statement in your conditional formatting, you could get your cell with your button macro to go from black to white (for example). If your button is the origional color, it would look invisible to begin with and then seem to appear when the conditional format is met. I don't know if you could be more clever with conditional formatting and once the series of cells condition is met, the cell becomes unlocked.

I'm sure you could do it with some VBA/macro code as well.

Upvote 0
Something like this (not completely tested).

In the Workbook code

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Sheets("Sheet1").DrawingObjects("Button 1").Visible = False
Range("A5").Select
End Sub

In Sheet1's code module

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, Range("A5,B5,C5")) Is Nothing Then
    If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("A5,B5,C5")) <> 3 Then
        MsgBox "You must complete A5:C5"
    Else
        DrawingObjects("Button 1").Visible = True
    End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will give it a go when I return to work tomorrow. I guess the sheet protection is a not a bad idea as well and I saw code in the forum to enable/disable protection when using a password.

Kevin

Upvote 0
I've got the validation setup the way I want, but I can't get the buttons with the macros to display.

I protected the sheet and hid the buttons from the Workbook - Open like so:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Range("D10").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = ""
Range("E10").Select
Range("C10").Select
Sheets("Sheet1").DrawingObjects("btn1").Visible = False
Sheets("Sheet1").DrawingObjects("btn2").Visible = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Protect "my_PW_here"
End Sub
Then in the Sheet1 module I added this:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, Range("C10,D10,E10")) Is Nothing Then
    If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("C10,D10,E10")) <> 3 Then
        MsgBox "You must provide valid entries for cells C10 - E10.", _
        vbOKOnly, "Input Required"
    Else
        Sheets("Sheet1").Unprotect "my_PW_here"
        Sheets("Sheet1").DrawingObjects("btn1").Visible = True
        Sheets("Sheet1").DrawingObjects("btn2").Visible = True
    End If
End If
End Sub

So when I have valid entries in all three cells, it doesn't unprotect the sheet. I have to do it manually from Tools-Protection-Unprotect Sheet. If I open the sheet and unprotect it from the menu before doing anything else, it still shows both buttons even though my three cells (C10-E10) are blank.

Is there something wrong with the code, or do I need to have it in a different section? When the sheet is protected, only cells C10-E10 can be selected. I'm not sure if the code above requires me to select a cell outside of that range to work properly, but ideally I would like it to actively hide both buttons whenever cells C10-E10 do not have valid entries from my data validation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back