Retaining Original Formatting and Restricting Entries

Jaysin2011

I am creating an excel template that users will mostly populate by pasting columns of information into the template from various other spreadsheets. I need to retain the formatting in the template, however when pasting from another spreadsheet, the format that was copied from other spreadsheets typically overrides the existing format in the template.

I know that you can use Paste Special -> Values so that the formatting isn't pasted over, however with the variety of users that will be utilizing the spreadsheet I am trying to make it as Dummy-proof as possible.

Additionally, there are certain fields that need to be restricted so that only certain, exact fields can be chosen. I currently have dropdown picklists in these fields, however they can be pasted over by the user.

Is there a way to make my spreadsheet retain the original formatting, even after a typical ctrl-v paste? Also, is there a way to make it so that only certain fields can be chosen, without being pasted over?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back