Return a spelled out number to match the entered numerical value.

sassy2

I'm not sure if this is possible. I would like to enter a numerical value in cell I6 of a customer receipt and have the spelled out number appear in cell C7. Can this be done automatically with a formula? So if I enter into cell I6 - "2,123.46". I would like cell C7 to show "Two thousand one hundred twenty-three & 46/100" See example below.

Line County Auto Sales
Austin, TX 78761

Receipt #____________ Date _______________

Name:____________________Amount__1,246.23__

Amount Paid: One Thousand two hundred forty-six & 23/100 Dollars

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sassy2

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
First off, you will not be able to do that with a formula, you will need a VBA function to perform that task. I have one you can use in my mini-blog article located here...

http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showt...umber-To-Words-Function-(Sorry-US-Style-Only)

You would use the "CHECKDOLLAR" option for the second argument, but note that the output is slightly different than what you asked for (I use the word "and" instead of an ampersand and the word "dollars" is located before the word "and" rather than at the end of the text). The function I posted in my mini-blog article is a UDF (user defined function) so once you installed it into a module (instructions included in article), you can use it on your worksheet like it was a built-in Excel function.

Upvote 0
You are a genius mole999! That is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much to everyone who offered help.

Sassy2

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I needed.
Really? The format that routine puts out is nothing like you requested for the "cents" part of the number. The code at the link I provide comes a lot closer to what you asked for and, as the programmer, I could change the output to exactly what you asked for if required.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back