Rotation and translation of coordinates

twa14

I would like to ask “SHG” a question as it relates to an old post of his, namely:

https://www.excelforum.com/excel-fo...nslation-and-rotation-formulas-for-excel.html

This was a very nice solution to the posted problem, however I also saw this as a possible solution to a problem I had come across myself.

The problem concerns the construction of an in-situ concrete bridge deck. The deck is shaped as a segment of a circle with radius to the setting out line\Master String of 350m. The bridge deck is to cross a motorway and cannot be built at the required location as the motorway has to remain open during construction. The plan is to build the deck on temporary columns at a location close to the final location and transport the completed deck to its final destination during a weekend possession.

I have the following information: Coordinates are on the Master string with radius 350m. Coordinates of the centre points are given in the table below as Xcp,Ycp

Final LocationXYZXcpYcpRadius
Abutment1110285.205478353.1553.745109952.570478462.034350.000
Column110299.604478416.5604.047
Abutment 2110302.551478465.7333.841
Temporary Location
Abutment1110246.983478454.1453.745109900.000478500.000350.000
Column110249.478478519.1164.047
Abutment 2110243.332478567.9923.841

<tbody>
</tbody>

I thought that having 3 coordinates for permanent and temporary situation would mean that as the structure is rotated and translated to its temporary situation and eventually back again that the excel sheet would enable me to calculate coordinates in the temporary situation using coordinates from the permanent situation. However on using the solver to get the Rms error, this gives 4.980 instead of zero? I am probably missing something in the VBA, I am unfortunately not very expert in it. I am hoping that you can comment on whatever it is that I am doing wrong.

http://tinypic.com/m/k3ueit/4

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
To "SHG". Just wondering if you had seen my post "https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/members/twa14.html" My post refers to an old post of yours from 2013. In this you tantalisingly refer to a solution of a problem which may be the same as my problem, you state "I did do a solution, BTW, but it required VBA." I would definitely like to see this solution if still available. The link can be found on the post above. My apologies if I am in some way breaking protocol.

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-ge...d-translation-of-coordinates.html#post4852381

Cross-Posting
While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
I think its pretty clear from my post? The links are plain for all to see? The question is directed to "SHG" as it has to do with his posts on the other forum! What am I missing here?

Upvote 0
Whilst you put a link to the thread you wanted help with, you did not mention that you had also asked the same question on the other board.
Please take a moment to read the rules.

Upvote 0
"you did not mention that you had also asked the same question on the other board."

The link is to "Excelforum" not "MrExcel"?

Upvote 0
You supplied a link to the post that you were interested in, you did not supply a link to your own post on ExcelForum.
As mentioned before, please take a few minutes to read the rules and, in future, comply with them. Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back