"Rows x to y" in page footers

ctclark1

I've been looking for a way, for about 6 months off and on now, to have Excel print data from the first and last row that is printed, minus repeated rows at the top. I'm currently working with Excel 2007/Win 8 at home, though this could be used in my workplace at well which would mean typically either Excel 2007/WinXP OR Excel 2010/Win7, depending on when they update the machinces, etc.

Specifically, my spreadsheet has patchlists for telecom wiring. There are 7 rows which are repeated at the top of every page, and then a long list of wires within each bundle. I'm looking for Excel to print, at the footer of every page, "Pairs x to y" where x and y would be the numbers from Column A of the first and last rows (again, disregarding the repeated rows) of each page. So, for example, page one would show "Pairs 1 to 25", two would show "Pairs 26 to 50" and so on. The goal is that the printed format of this would be landscape and placed into a 3-ring binder, so someone who needed to review the sheets could simply scan the bottom of the pages until they found the specific cable and pair they were looking for, similar to how a dictionary has the first and last words printed at the top of the page.

I would prefer to not have macros do this, as too many users see the macro warning and flip out, or completely ignore it altogether, but that doesn't seem very likely based on what I've seen regarding having formulas or cell references in headers/footers. So macro/vba away if that's the case. I'm fairly good with VBA (not a master, though), I just can't find how it would retrieve the cells to be printed on the sheet.

As a last resort I currently have the pages set to print 25 pairs per page, so as long as this doesn't change for one reason or another (printing margins overridden by the printer, or whatnot) I could probably get away with a formula in the footer that would pull the page number and calculate the rows that should be on it, such as "Pairs [(page#*25)-24] to [(page#*25)]" but haven't found a way to do this either, and would be the much less desirable way to do this in case, as I mentioned, the number of rows printing is changed for whatever reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
CT, welcome to the board. As for your question I am not sure I have an answer, but I would like to offer this, simply create a TOC or table of contents for your sheets, where you identify the sheets by a range or a binder color, as you know everything repeats up through 600 with the binder changing each 25, then the major/super binder changing at that time. DR

Upvote 0
Without getting too off the topic of Excel and into telecom topics, that is a theory that could work however would still be cumbersome, considering reprinting an updated cable would cause page numbers to not always be consistent either. I could separate each cable in the binder using dividers but we're talking upwards of 30 cables so that's a lot of dividers, among other issues.

I know Excel lacks in some aspects but I can't imagine there isn't some way to pull that information, even if it is something in VBA that is run in BeforePrint(). Somewhere the program must determine row numbers that are printed on each page, is that information not accessible in any way to VBA?

Upvote 0
Well, if you are going to print the entire cable list, even with the first and last line data on it as your requested, the first time you add to a cable on the first page that requires you to reprint, it stands to reason that all the pages would need to be reprinted because of margins. I would think the best course would be to leave the database electronic, until you actually need to print a section or two. I helped maintain cable records for 2 exchanges or 20,000 numbers. we had 11 employees and we simply did excel searches for the information we needed and then printed what we needed. However if you are still looking for how to print the information from line 8 and the last line. in the footer I will look and see what I can come up with. Meanwhile (Bumped). :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back