Running a macro from a drop down menu

davemc2016

I'm fairly new to the world of macros but i have managed to set up some simple macros that filter some data by using the "Adavanced Filter" function. This data is filtered to show whether a set of chemical standards are going to expire "within 2 weeks", "within 1 month" etc etc. These have all been set up using buttons (5 buttons in total) but i've been asked to filter the data again on method (30 odd methods) and the screen is going to look clutted and unusuable. So i'm trying to put in a drop down menu so that you can pick the method and once you pick that method it runs the corresponding macro. Any ideas? I know it probably going to involve using Vb at some point.

Regards
Dave

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Welcome to the Board!

You can put your options in a Data Validation list. From there you can use a Change event that will be triggered when an item is selected from the list.

Here's some boilerplate Change event code:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Code goes in the Worksheet specific module</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rng = Target.Parent.Range("xxx")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at single cell changes</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at that range</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(Target, rng) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)</SPAN><br>            <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

You can put your options in a Data Validation list. From there you can use a Change event that will be triggered when an item is selected from the list.

Here's some boilerplate Change event code:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'** Code goes in the Worksheet specific module
****Dim rng As Range
****'** Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")
********Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("xxx")
********'** Only look at single cell changes
************If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
********'** Only look at that range
************If Intersect(Target, rng) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
********'** Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)
End Sub

Thanks for this - i'll be honest i don't even know what a boilerplate change code is! My knowledge of Vb is basic. My data is set up like this: In column E1 an IF statement is running on certain specified dates and i'm currently using Advanced filter teamed with a macro to run them.
A1B1C1D1E1
Test

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 110pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5376" width=147><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Reagent Name

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 120pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5851" width=160><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Designation

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 110pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5376" width=147><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Expiry Date

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2742" width=75><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Status

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 83pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4022" width=110><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Geosmin & 2-MIB

</TBODY>
Working Internal

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 120pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5851" width=160><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Geosmin & 2MIB

</TBODY>
23/02/2015

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2742" width=75><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Expired

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 83pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4022" width=110><TBODY>
</TBODY>
CW-PAH's

</TBODY>
CAL02

</TBODY>
Indeno(123-cd)pyrene

</TBODY>
02/04/2015

</TBODY>
Within 2 Weeks

</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back