Saving conditional format colors to 2003

pgrau2342

I have a customer that uses Excel2003. I use 2010. To save time, I utilize conditional formatting on the report. When I send the report to the customer, obviously, that formatting is not visible. How can I copy/paste/save that "highlighting" in 2003, while continuing to use the conditional formatting functionality of 2010?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Welcome to the Board!

Use the copy-as-picture option to send an image of the range.
Limit the conditional formatting to the 3 rules allowed in XL2003.

What errors are listed when you save the XL2010 file in XL2003 format? That should give you an indication of what needs to be modified.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea.

I did try that, but since the file is showing the "unprotected formula" error indicator ("little green triangle"), the Pastepicture is function brings that over as well.

Could there be a VBA code that would allow me to copy/paste the cells and color shading?

The error I get from the Compatability Checker is that 2003 does not support conditional formatting, hence my problem.

Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

Upvote 0
Conditional formatting does not change the underlying shading of the cell.

See http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412889

The first link in that post, to Pearson Consulting Services, was written for Excel2003 (mentions 3 CF limit), but seems to apply in 2007 as well for the conditions I tested.

The second link, to JKP Applicaion Development Services, discusses the added complexities of table formatting.

To get your data colored for export in XL2003, you will have to determine which CF is applied to each cell and the resultant color then change the interior of that cell to the appropriate CF color.

Potential problem: XL2003 only allows one of the 56 current colorset colors to be applied to the interior of a cell. If you attempt to apply a color that is not in that set (with RGB or copy paste) the 'closest' color in the colorset will be selected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back