Scatter plot is noisy when 'Smoothed Line' is OFF

nmpixel

Hello! Could the experts here can help with a strange Excel behavior related to graphing? The basic question: why do scatter plots appear rough or noisy for simple functions like y=sin(x) or y = mx+b when the ‘Smoothed Line’ option is OFF?

The screenshots show a few basic functions.. y = sin(x) and y = 0.8x + 0.5. The line width is set to 0 and markers removed for clarity. With that, the the roughness or ‘noise’ is easily visible. This roughness disappears completely when the Smoothed Line option is switched ON, but why is there such a high degree of roughness when the option is OFF?

At first I thought this was due to the IEE 754 floating point standard that limits Excel to 15 digits. But now I’m not so sure, because the degree of roughness in these graphs would represent error in the 5th, 6th, or 7th decimal place, not the 15th.

If interested, try this quick test. Create a column of x values 0, 0.02, 0.04 and another with sin(x). Then plot a scatter plot with Smoothed Line OFF and zoom in close. You should see this same jitter or noise.

Ideas?
Thanks!

sin(x) and mx+b
file:///Users/Michael/Documents/Screenshots/Screen%20Shot%202018-03-11%20at%208.51.20%20PM.png

two equations for circle → sin/cos and y=SQRT(100-x^2)
file:///Users/Michael/Documents/Screenshots/Screen%20Shot%202018-03-11%20at%2010.00.59%20PM.png

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Create a column of x values 0, 0.02, 0.04 and another with sin(x)
I don't see any noise in that.

file:///Users/Michael/...

You can't upload pictures from your 'puter -- you need to put them on a photo sharing site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for responding shp. I appreciate it!

I uploaded the photos on a photosharing site, but the resulting URL contains too much personal information. If there is another display error (that I cannot edit in the post afterward), then the information will be forever emblazoned here. Thus, I posted this question at another Excel forum because the pictures are crucial to explain the problem. Please look there if possible.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronaldj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back