Searchable Data Validation List

jdellasala

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
I started with a Data Validation Drop Down List in cell N1 that used the column "Symbol" which is the first column in a table named "StockData" in a worksheet named "Stock Data". The column is a Stock data type. It worked great, but there were 81 Stock Issues listed, and I wanted to be able to type a few characters into cell N1 such that only a list of the Stocks that had those letters would appear - so typing "ap" would list only the three Stocks with "ap" in the name/symbol such as "APPLE INC. (XNAS:AAPL)". Somehow I actually got this to work, however now I can't reproduce it!
The Data Validation List now points to:
Excel Formula:
='Industry PTs'!$O$4#

That cell has the formula:
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(StockData[Symbol],ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Dashboard!N1,StockData[Name '[Symbol']])),StockData[Symbol])

This actually works in the original worksheet, but as you can see I have no idea where they syntax for the within text option
Excel Formula:
StockData[Name '[Symbol']]
comes from, certainly doesn't look right to me, and no matter how much I try to reproduce it using a similar table worksheet names, etc., I've been unable to reproduce it.

The beauty of how this works in the original worksheet is that since the returned value is a Stock Data Type, you can click on the icon to the left of the selected item and see the item's "card" which displays (among other things) a description of what the company does, AND you can reference the cell (N1) in other cells in the Dashboard (where it is) to get other data on the stock like =$N$1.Price to get the current price (absolute reference isn't needed, but I was glad I used it so that when I wanted to change an item's location the formula still worked).

I've uploaded two images. As you can see the formulas that reference the (resulting) Rich Data type (N1) have a value of #FIELD before selecting an item from the drop down list since the typed value "ap" is not a Rich Data Type, however once selected all the formulas work.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Attachments

• DropDown.jpg
    DropDown.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Selected.jpg
    Selected.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carmadgar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back