Searching text string and working out elapsed time

Kevhardy

Hi,

I have a little experience of Excel but this is a bit beyond my skills.
We are thinking of using Microsoft's StaffHub to do staff rotas but need to generate data for some reports. We can export the data from StaffHub to Excel format but have no control over how the original information is gathered.

The issue I have is that the data arrives in a cell string such as "9:30am - 4pm Training". This represents a shift that started at 09:30 and finished at 16:00. The worker was on training this day but it could also have been 'Hands-on', 'STS', 'A/L' etc.

What I need to do is:
A) look at the string, and work out the start and end times (or at least the elapsed time between the start and end)
B) and what the worker was doing i.e. 'Training', 'A/L', 'STS' etc. as this will decide which column to enter the 'elapsed time' result.

For example:
A1=9:30am - 4pm Training

C1=6.5 (The elapsed time in the column headed 'Training')

Any help/advice gratefully received :)

Regards

K Hardy

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
A lot depends on how 'regular' the format is as it's easy enough to strip out the individual items using either formulas or VBA and a space as the delimiter

Upvote 0
The data is fairly regular. I.e. it will always be a start time recorded as 12 hour clock (but could be a.m. or p.m.) followed by an end time followed by the type of shift.
One complication may be that the shifts include a night which starts at 9.3pm and finishes at 7.30am. This caused me some issues before.

Upvote 0
If it's regular ie start time , hyphen , end time, category just use split() a that'll stick the parts into an array and you can access each part separately

Dim SplitArray() As String
SplitArray = split(Range("A1").Value)

Start time would be in SplitArray(0), end time in SplitArray(2) etc, you could then decide which column to enter the data in from the value in SplitArray(3). You'll probably need to add error coding depending on how regular, fairy regular is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back