Seeking Help - My spread sheet is SLOW!!!

TCarrigan

I am attempting to do more with Excel 2007 than it was probably meant to do. I have LARGE SUMPRODUCT command refferences and now my spreadsheet is very very slow.

My sheet includes many tabs that all refference back and forth to each other as well as a single entry with approx 500 dependents. The single entries are in approx 400 locations all with the same dependents. If I change the value in Precedents cell, the calculation take several seconds.

This example formula is repeated about 500+ times throughout the sheet.
=IF($BJ4="","",SUMPRODUCT(($D$66:$D$1703=BL$2)*($R$66:$R$1703=$BJ4)*($AA$66:$AA$1703)))

as well as this formula repeated hundreds of times:
=SUMPRODUCT(('Misc Cable Configurator'!$N$66:$N$1703='Itemized Report'!$D$33)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$C$66:$C$1703='Itemized Report'!$D54)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$E$66:$E$1703=1)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!G$66:G$1703)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$E$66:$E$1703))+SUMPRODUCT(('Misc Cable Configurator'!$N$66:$N$1703='Itemized Report'!$D$33)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$C$66:$C$1703='Itemized Report'!$D54)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!G$66:G$1703)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$E$66:$E$1703>1)*(1))+SUMPRODUCT(('Misc Cable Configurator'!$N$66:$N$1703='Itemized Report'!$D$33)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$C$66:$C$1703='Itemized Report'!$D54)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!G$66:G$1703)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$E$66:$E$1703>1)*('Misc Cable Configurator'!$E$66:$E$1703-1)*'Misc Cable Configurator'!$CD$3)

I'm totally lost on how to speed this thing up.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Dear DonkeyOte,

That is an awesome tip.
I have used concatenated columns for dealing with duplicates in lookup situations, but it never occurred to me to use concatenated columns to deal with large multi-conditional formulas.

And your example you submitted is so well constructed and easy to understand!!!

Thanks for the new power tool that I am adding to my Excel tool kit!

Upvote 0
Thank you Donkey.
I will look to see if I can incorporate your suggestions.
Unfortunately most of my calculations are not dependent on each other (except for the helper calcs). So I'm not quite sure if I can use your suggestion in its present form but I may be able to adapt it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back