Selection Drop Down List and Quick Access Toolbar general help

Moonbeam111

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Is what I'm wanting possible or have I reached the limits of Excel?

1. I have a drop down list. When I select an item from the list it defaults to the last chosen item selected when I reselect the drop down list. I was wondering if there is a way I can have a drop down list default to the top spot when I reselect it (or maybe even have the default selection a custom name). Now, I've looked across other websites and every solution I have found only temporarily works. For example, they tell me to put down a formula in the drop down list but if I select a value in the drop down list it overwrites the excel formula the solution provided. I assume I will need some type of VBA worksheet change event code to accomplish this. But I haven't much of an idea of what the code would be.

2. I have a custom quick access toolbar (QAT) with several macro buttons on it that default to all workbooks However, it only works with one workbook. Well, it works with other workbooks but if I select a macro button on a workbook with a different file name, it only works by opening the original workbook along with the different filename workbook. Is there a way I can have my QAT use its macro buttons without opening the original workbook everytime?

Regards. Appreciate the help this forum has given me.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I was wondering if there is a way I can have a drop down list default to the top spot when I reselect it (or maybe even have the default selection a custom name).
You will need VBA & combobox. But first, can you explain why you need such behavior?
Is there a way I can have my QAT use its macro buttons without opening the original workbook everytime?
1. You need the macro to be "generic" in the sense that it works on the active workbook.
2. Insert the macro into a code module in PERSONAL.xlsb
Check out this article:

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
You will need VBA & combobox. But first, can you explain why you need such behavior?
It's just a preference. I have a drop down list that has data validation with a source to a table. The table is dynamic and the table works as intended. If I select a item from that table through the drop down list and click a macro button I have for it, it will subtract my specified quantity in that table and if that quantity reaches 0, it will delete the row from that table. But the drop down list doesnt automatically switch to a different item in its drop down. It stays on the "last selected item" which is the one that had 0 quantity and had its row already deleted. Its non existant to the table but it still stays in the drop down until I reselect a different value. At which point that particular item from the drop down then disappears from the list. Could I have it start on a default custom value every time I click out of the drop down list? For example, "--select item--"?

Similar to this?

VBA Code:
1. You need the macro to be "generic" in the sense that it works on the active workbook.
2. Insert the macro into a code module in PERSONAL.xlsb

Ok that worked. I just had to change the 'at startup open all files:' in Excel options --> Advanced --> General to a folder on my external hard drive. Since I keep my excel files on there.

Upvote 0
Could I have it start on a default custom value every time I click out of the drop down list? For example, "--select item--"?
Sorry, I have no idea how to do that.
Ok that worked. I just had to change the 'at startup open all files:' in Excel options --> Advanced --> General to a folder on my external hard drive. Since I keep my excel files on there.
Glad it worked.(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back