Semi colon as csv separator

usercogn

Hi all,

I have a macro where i'm trying to convert an excel file to csv with semi-colon separator.
I thought the method was to convert to csv, and secondly to replace coma by semi-colon but it's not working.

It seems we can force the separator somehow, but I don't know how to do it inside my (already painful) code. below is mine :
Code:
    'variables
    Dim CompanyCode As String
    Dim Period As String
    Dim Chemin_INF As String
    Dim Nom_INF As String

Sub Data_Selection_INF()

Sheets("INF").Select

CompanyCode = Worksheets("INF").Range("A3")
    Period = Worksheets("INF").Range("C3")

Range("A2").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Workbooks.Add
    ActiveSheet.Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

End Sub

Sub Export_csv_INF()

ActiveSheet.Select

Dim objSaveBox As FileDialog
    Set objSaveBox = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogSaveAs)

With objSaveBox
        .InitialFileName = CompanyCode & "_INF_" & Period & ".csv"

.FilterIndex = 15

.Show

.Execute
    End With

Nom_INF = ActiveWorkbook.Name
    Chemin_INF = ActiveWorkbook.Path

ActiveWorkbook.Close (Savechanges = False)

End Sub

Sub Compilation()

Data_Selection_INF
Export_csv_INF

MsgBox "File saved in the directory." 

End Sub
how to include the trick in my code?

thanks for ideas

usercogn

thanks. I'm now trying to open notepad and just replace by. However I do not manage to open a file that have path&name as variables.

<code>
Call Shell("C:\Windows\Notepad.exe" Chemin_INF + " \ " + Nom_INF", vbMaximizedFocus)
</code>

where Chemin_INF + " \ " + Nom_INF" is the path+name, but it seems the syntax to open with shell instruction is not correct.

I thought this would have been quite easy to do, but it's starting to be a real pain.

kpark91

You have to concatenate the strings with "&"

so... It would be

Rich (BB code):
Call Shell("C:\Windows\Notepad.exe" & Chemin_INF & " \ " & Nom_INF", vbMaximizedFocus)

usercogn

thank you, but I still have a syntax error on this line
Code:
Call Shell("C:\Windows\Notepad.exe" & Chemin_INF & " \ " & Nom_INF", vbMaximizedFocus)

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
You have an extra quote after Nom_INF" and spaces around the " \ "
Code:
Call Shell("C:\Windows\Notepad.exe " & Chemin_INF & "\" & Nom_INF, vbMaximizedFocus)
EDIT: also need a space after .exe "

Last edited:

usercogn

That's fine it works now, it opens the file.
If it's not too much, can I ask you how to replace the comma by semi-colon now, since
Code:
Cells.Replace What:=",", Replacement:=";"
does not have any effect. Is there another instruction to do find&replace with notepad ?

thanks

kpark91

The reason why the code is not working is because you have specified a delimiter when you're importing the text file onto your worksheet.

A) You can import without specifying any delimiters (but most likely you will run into a problem if your number of characters in a single line is over 256 characters)
B) Use a VBA code that reads a text file line by line and replace the commas with semicolons.
C) Ctrl+H in text editor to replace all "," with ";"

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
I wouldn't use Notepad to do the replace the comma by semi-colon.

The links above gave working code examples on how to do this. Was there a problem incorporating that code?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badgergurl

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...