Separating names into rows using formulas

jeffcoleky

I have thousands of names I need to separate into rows using formulas. This will be a challenge because of the naming format:

I have it MOSTLY down but I'm stuck because my first names get put into the middle name column when there is no middle initial.

SAMPLE DATA:
Code:
A		B	C	D
Full Name	First	Middle	Last
SMITH BOB E	Bob	E	Smith
FRENCH PIERRE S	Pierre	S	French
CRICKET JIMMY		Jimmy	Cricket
GOLD POT OF	Pot	Of	Gold
LATER CHARLIE U	Charlie	U	Later

First Name Formula: =PROPER(IF(LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))=1,"",MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1,FIND(MID(A2,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))))+1,255),A2,1)-2-FIND(" ",A2,1))))

MIDDLE NAME FORMULA: =PROPER(REPLACE(A2,1,SEARCH("^",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","^",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")))),""))

LAST NAME FORMULA: =PROPER(LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2)-1))

YOUR HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Try something like this...

<br /><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: #FFFFFF;border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #A6AAB6"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: #E0E0F0" /><col /><col /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;text-align: center;color: #161120"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th><th>C</th><th>D</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Full Name</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">First</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Middle</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Last</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">2</td><td style=";">SMITH BOB E</td><td style=";">Bob</td><td style=";">E</td><td style=";">Smith</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">3</td><td style=";">FRENCH PIERRE S</td><td style=";">Pierre</td><td style=";">S</td><td style=";">French</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">4</td><td style=";">CRICKET JIMMY</td><td style=";">Jimmy</td><td style=";"></td><td style=";">Cricket</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">5</td><td style=";">GOLD POT OF</td><td style=";">Pot</td><td style=";">Of</td><td style=";">Gold</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">6</td><td style=";">LATER CHARLIE U</td><td style=";">Charlie</td><td style=";">U</td><td style=";">Later</td></tr></tbody></table><br /><br /><table width="85%" cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: #FFFFFF" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Worksheet Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #A6AAB6"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">B2</th><td style="text-align:left">=IF(<font color="Blue">$A2="","",PROPER(<font color="Red">TRIM(<font color="Green">MID(<font color="Purple">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Teal">$A2," ",REPT(<font color="#FF00FF">" ",50</font>)</font>),50,50</font>)</font>)</font>)</font>)</td></tr><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">C2</th><td style="text-align:left">=IF(<font color="Blue">$A2="","",IF(<font color="Red">LEN(<font color="Green">A2</font>)-LEN(<font color="Green">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Purple">$A2," ",""</font>)</font>)=1,"",PROPER(<font color="Green">TRIM(<font color="Purple">MID(<font color="Teal">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="#FF00FF">$A2," ",REPT(<font color="Navy">" ",50</font>)</font>),100,50</font>)</font>)</font>)</font>)</font>)</td></tr><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">D2</th><td style="text-align:left">=IF(<font color="Blue">$A2="","",PROPER(<font color="Red">TRIM(<font color="Green">MID(<font color="Purple">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Teal">$A2," ",REPT(<font color="#FF00FF">" ",50</font>)</font>),1,50</font>)</font>)</font>)</font>)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></table><br />

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can i make it a little--no, a LOT more complicated? It's functioning as it is but if there were a way to also add this next portion, it would REALLY help.

Add the following married couples' names to the list:

JEFFREYS RON & PAT
JEFFREYS RON & PAT E
BAKER BOB E & JONES SARAH
BAKER BOB E & JONES SARAH A
BAKER BOB E & JONES SARAH ASHLEY

When there is a married couple, an "&" is used each time to connect their names. The second name, if there is a middle name, will ALWAYS only be the person's middle initial. So if you see two full names after the "&", then you know the first of the two is a last name.

By adding the spouse, i needed three more columns. See below along with the desired result:
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1Full NameFirstMiddleLastFirst2Middle2Last2
2SMITH BOB EBobESmith
3FRENCH PIERRE SPierreSFrench
4CRICKET JIMMYJimmyCricket
5GOLD POT OFPotOfGold
6LATER CHARLIE UCharlieULater
7JEFFREYS RON & PATRonJeffreysPatJeffreys
8JEFFREYS RON & PAT ERonJeffreysPatEJeffreys
9BAKER BOB E & JONES SARAHBobEBakerSarahJones
10BAKER BOB E & JONES SARAH ABobEBakerSarahAJones
11BAKER BOB E & JONES SARAH ASHLEYBobEBakerSarahAshleyJones
Sheet1
Excel 2010

Note that in the instances where the second name does not have a different last name, the surname in column D would be reused in column G.

Upvote 0
i forgot to add: if you need more columns to make this work, that's not a problem. I'm clueless on how to make this work though.

Upvote 0
It could be done with just formulas albeit lengthy ones in columns E and F. I do have questions about your procedures though.

You did a good job in describing how you want the names split. It may be easier to just do it with just a macro instead of formulas. Would a macro solution work for you?

If you can't use a macro, could you do a Text to Columns split on column A using the "&" as the delimiter so as to split the married couples into two columns (A and B)? That would greatly shorten the formulas.

Upvote 0
It could be done with just formulas albeit lengthy ones in columns E and F. I do have questions about your procedures though.

You did a good job in describing how you want the names split. It may be easier to just do it with just a macro instead of formulas. Would a macro solution work for you?

If you can't use a macro, could you do a Text to Columns split on column A using the "&" as the delimiter so as to split the married couples into two columns (A and B)? That would greatly shorten the formulas.

Macros would be preferred actually. Why did I say otherwise at the beginning? I have no idea--probably because I thought I already had most of it done with formulas... In any case, yes, macros are great. Thank you.

I don't want to do text to columns for control and speed purposes...

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub Name_Splitter()

Dim rng As Range, cell As Range, Names As Variant, NameParts As Variant

Set rng = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

rng.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 6).ClearContents

For Each cell In rng
        If cell.Value <> "" Then
            Names = Split(Application.WorksheetFunction.Trim(cell.Value), " & ")

' Single name or 1st of Couple
            NameParts = Split(Names(0), " ")
            cell.Offset(, 1).Value = StrConv(NameParts(1), vbProperCase)
            If UBound(NameParts) = 2 Then cell.Offset(, 2).Value = StrConv(NameParts(2), vbProperCase)
            cell.Offset(, 3).Value = StrConv(NameParts(0), vbProperCase)

' 2nd name if Couple
            If UBound(Names) > 0 Then
                NameParts = Split(Names(1), " ")
                If UBound(NameParts) = 0 Then
                    ' Pat
                    cell.Offset(, 4).Value = StrConv(NameParts(0), vbProperCase)
                    cell.Offset(, 6).Value = cell.Offset(, 3).Value
                ElseIf UBound(NameParts) = 1 And Len(NameParts(1)) = 1 Then
                    ' Pat E
                    cell.Offset(, 4).Value = StrConv(NameParts(0), vbProperCase)
                    cell.Offset(, 5).Value = UCase(NameParts(1))
                    cell.Offset(, 6).Value = cell.Offset(, 3).Value
                Else
                    ' Jones Sarah  or  Jones Sarah A
                    cell.Offset(, 4).Value = StrConv(NameParts(1), vbProperCase)
                    If UBound(NameParts) = 2 Then cell.Offset(, 5).Value = StrConv(NameParts(2), vbProperCase)
                    cell.Offset(, 6).Value = StrConv(NameParts(0), vbProperCase)
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next cell

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amriddin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back