Simple algebra/ inventory order

Guitarmageddon

Board Regular
*pic included below*

So I am working through our inventory replenishment report, trying to compute some holiday build orders. Our orders compute based on the difference between the "fill-to" (AE) subtracting current "on hand"/"on order" (AF:AG). The difference is the quantity which will order, which is rounded to the case increment which that item is sold (V). I have a formula in AC which shows me the quantity that would order based on the current inventory positions shown. However in this case, I'm trying to figure out how to back in a number of a fill-to (AE) to generate the order quantity listed in AA (build units).

My formula for the CURRENT fill-to level and its order is in the formula bar of my screen, on the link below.
<ae2,roundup((ae2-(af2+ag2)) V2,0)*V2,0)
<ae2,roundup((ae2-(af2+ag2)) V2,0)*V2,0)

but since excel doesn't really do algebra, I'm mentally stuck.

For example, in row two, the equation for x "would" be
288=IF((AF2+AG2)<X,ROUNDUP((X-(AF2+AG2))/V2,0)*V2,0) **NOTE THE VARIABLE X**

X is the "fill-to" number I'm trying to figure out what I need to fudge it to, to have our system auto order the desired quantities of build units (AA.)

Long and short of it: I work with product buying teams that don't want to take the time to key my suggested quantities in "AA." They would rather get our auto order system to generate it. However, i don't know what formula to use to find what Id need to fudge the "fill-to" level to get that. I'm hoping this makes sense to someone, please let me know if theres any more info or clarification i can provide.

This should be a public link, please let me know if it doesn't work.
<a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2z6HIm4YiM_Q0wxYTliRmluM3FxRnhRYmpndjY0c1dtRW5Z/view?usp=drivesdk" target="_blank">https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2z6HIm4YiM_Q0wxYTliRmluM3FxRnhRYmpndjY0c1dtRW5Z/view?usp=drivesdk</ae2,roundup((ae2-(af2+ag2))><a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2z6HIm4YiM_Q0wxYTliRmluM3FxRnhRYmpndjY0c1dtRW5Z/view?usp=drivesdk" target="_blank"><a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2z6HIm4YiM_Q0wxYTliRmluM3FxRnhRYmpndjY0c1dtRW5Z/view?usp=drivesdk" target="_blank"></ae2,roundup((ae2-(af2+ag2))>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Re: Help with simple algebra/ inventory order

Hi Guitarmageddon,

I'm looking at your screenshot but can't figure out what you're looking for. Both AA and AE are filled with values, not sure which one do you need the formula for...

Are you trying to come up with a prediction model to find what level of stock you need to "Fill-to" based on previous months sales, expected sales and stock level?

Upvote 0

you can't have 288=if(............

do you mean roundup (x-(af2+ag2))/v2 = 288

Upvote 0

So basically, the formula in AC is showing be the quantity ordered, based on the current "fill-to" level in AE. However, I'm trying to basically work backwards and get it to ORDER whats in AA by manually altering the "fill-to" level. I'm thinking this could be a job for solver, but again....I cant wrap my brain around this.

Upvote 0

Hmm if I understand you correctly you want to set AE to a level so that AC would equal to AA?

If so, why not just add up AA+AF+AG? (not sure though where AA comes from, it doesn't seem to depend on AF:AG since you have items - like row 4 - where AA is high even though "fill-to" is less then AF...)

Upvote 0

xaf2ag2v2xanswerincrease
10-1.48
345.5972####1170
=(ROUNDUP((A1-B1-C1),0))/D12501.85
plugging your numbers in20000276.169.4
we can see that there is a relationship25000345.669.5
between x and the answer
not sure your equation is right…

<colgroup><col width="64" span="15" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfhw720

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back