Simple formula needed

thurmbo

Hi, I believe I need an "IF" formula to figure out the % of target achieved for stock trading.

If a LONG trade: I purchase 100 shares at $49 and my target is $52, then I sell at $51.50, what is the % of target achieved?

If a SHORT trade: I Short 100 shares at $49 and my target is $46, then I close the trade at $47, what is the % target achieved?

Thanks you for your help!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
=IF($A1="Long",$F1/$B1,($F1/$B1)-1)

Assuming "Long" and "Short" are your only options in for Column A. Don't forget that any spaces before or after "Long" or "Short" in column A would through this off so it might be worth using a drop down for consistency.

I apologize if this isnt exactly right but it should be close to what you need.

Upvote 0

Assuming "Long" and "Short" are your only options in for Column A. Don't forget that any spaces before or after "Long" or "Short" in column A would through this off so it might be worth using a drop down for consistency.

jbvinny, Thanks a bunch for the formula! It so happens that it works perfectly for a LONG trade, but not for a SHORT trade, (dependent on Column A).

I am trying to play around with your formula, but so far not getting it. Would you have another suggestion?

Appreciated,
Greg

Upvote 0
How about?

=IF($A3="Long",$F3/$B3,1-(($F3/$B3)-1))

I am assuming by it not working that you meant the result was not what was desired. Try this on a few different scenerios...should work.

Upvote 0
Nevermind that will only work if you sold the short for more than target...I will look at it again.

Upvote 0

Nevermind that will only work if you sold the short for more than target...I will look at it again.

Correct, and the outcome will also be determined whether it was a Winning or Losing trade.

Here is an actual screenshot of the exact column/row of my trading spreadsheet. Hopefully I get this to you before you reply again :)

Greg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back