Simple formula needed

thurmbo

Hi, I believe I need an "IF" formula to figure out the % of target achieved for stock trading.

If a LONG trade: I purchase 100 shares at $49 and my target is $52, then I sell at $51.50, what is the % of target achieved?

If a SHORT trade: I Short 100 shares at $49 and my target is $46, then I close the trade at $47, what is the % target achieved?

Thanks you for your help!

Did the above not work?

No sir, it only works for LONG, WINNING trades, but for LOSING or SHORT trades, the outome is incorrect.

Long, losing trades are coming up with a positive percentage.
Short, winning trades are giving an incorrect result as well.

My prior screenshot shows this.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
No sir, it only works for LONG, WINNING trades, but for LOSING or SHORT trades, the outome is incorrect.

Long, losing trades are coming up with a positive percentage.
Short, winning trades are giving an incorrect result as well.

My prior screenshot shows this.

I guess I dont understand what the expected outcome is supposed to be some samples might be helpful. Its been a while since I have dealt with the world of options trading.

Upvote 0
I guess I dont understand what the expected outcome is supposed to be some samples might be helpful. Its been a while since I have dealt with the world of options trading.

jbvinny... Much appreciate all your time and help. I'll keep working with it on my end. No doubt, you steered me in the right direction.

Upvote 0
jbvinny... Much appreciate all your time and help. I'll keep working with it on my end. No doubt, you steered me in the right direction.

Sounds good. Basically you would use =IF($A2="Long",Formula if Long,Formula if Short)

If long and short are the only responses this formula should work. Just enter the calculations you have always used. Best of Luck and let me know when you figure it out! I would be curious to see the final result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgsrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back