Simple problem with OLE warning msgbox

baldmosher

I've got a control macro in Excel VBA that opens a database in Access, runs an Access macro, then closes the DB, before carrying on with Excel and running off a load of reports.

Code:
Dim A As Object
Set A = CreateObject("Access.Application")
A.Visible = False
A.OpenCurrentDatabase ("C:\Database\Database.mdb")
A.DoCmd.RunMacro "01 do all queries"
A.CloseCurrentDatabase
A.Quit
Set A = Nothing

I want it to run overnight because the Access macro takes a couple of hours, and the reports take an hour or so to run after that. After a couple of minutes, Excel pops up an error message "waiting for OLE application to complete" which then stays in focus until I click OK. If I click OK before Access is finished, the error reappears a few moments later. So at the moment, I have to click OK when I come back into work the following morning to run the reports. Not exactly a massive problem, but there must be a way to avoid it?

I'm thinking there must be a way to either suppress the OLE warning completely whilst Access is still processing, or to make Excel simply wait for a predetermined amount of time (e.g. 10 hours) before checking to see if Access has finished updating the database.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I'm not too sure as I don't deal with external applications but at the start of your code, you could add
Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
and at the end
Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Upvote 0
You know, I find it's usually the simplest idea.....

I can't actually remember ever trying that in this case. I don't know if it will work with external applications, but I will try it as soon as it's finished today's reports update (half way through as I type).

(I'm sure someone else will be along in a moment to say that it won't work!)

Upvote 0
Whaddyaknow, it seems to have worked. Many thanks for stating the obvious, sometimes it's necessary! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back