Sparklines and icon sets

Kevin222

Dear Excel Folks,

I am trying to create a worksheet to show trends in students performance in a fitness test. I want to display icons to show whether their present attempt was better, in line with or worse than their previous effort.

So for example if score 2 was better than score one it would display an upward arrow, if it was the same it would be a flat arrow and if worse than the score before it would be a downwards arrow

I also want to show this as a sparkline at the end to show their overall trend in their performance.

Is there a way of using icon sets to compare their score against the previous score?

NameScore 1Score 2Score 3Score 4Trend (Sparkline)
Student 11.11.31.71.4
Student 22.22.22.73.1
Student 31.82.32.22.1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Many Thanks

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I would suggest using Conditional Formatting to achieve this. Define the following relationships:
-1 = Down Arrow
0 = Flat Arrow
1 = Up Arrow

You would need a column of cells inbetween each cell to display the arrow. You're pseudo code for Student 1 Score 2 would for example be:
Code:
=IF(Score1=Score2,0,IF(Score1>Score2,-1,1))

Then you would go to the CF options, and select "Show Icon Only"

Hope that made sense
Caleeco

Upvote 0
Hi Caleeco,

Thankyou that works really well for showing how a student compared to their last score. However it means that the sparkline at the end includes the data from the additional icon cells. Is there a way that the sparkline can ignore the additional icon cells so just shows the trend from all the students scores?

Many thanks for your help - very much appreciated

Kevin

Upvote 0
Ah good point, I forgot you were using Sparklines also. Yes you can indeed.

I'm not sure how large your spreadsheet is, or how long it would take to setup.. but the following worked on my test sheet.

1. For Student 1, select each score whilst holding down the CTRL key
2. Give this selection of cells a name (eg. S1Score), by typing in the Name Box (Just above cell A1 on the left hand side)
3. When you create a sparksline for student 1, and it asks for the data range type in =S1Score

That should then omit you conditionally formatted cells.

An alternative way would be to have a hidden sheet with just score data, and the sparkline on the main page reading off that.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more detailed explanation.

Thanks
Caleeco

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back