Spreadsheet to calculate 4 man Match game in Golf

lakesidegolfer

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I am wondering if someone has or can provide a spreadsheet that calculates the matches in a 4 or 5 guy pairing (yes they let us play with 5 guys at times) where each person is playing the other person in a match. We usually play a $10 - $5 game. This means if you close the opponent out before hole#18 ( the first game which is worth $10) a new game starts which is then worth $5. I play at lakeside greens in Chestermere, Canada. most of the time , here is the link for that scorecard - https://www.lakesidegreens.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7713/2020/05/2020-Scorecard.pdf

We usually play off of the low guy but I dont think this would make a big difference? We would need to enter our handicaps each time but other than that it would be great if the spreadsheet did the rest, it simply is a little over my head to create this. Thanks in advance - if you can provide I definitely owe you a drink or ten, it would save us a lot of time and would be great if it was something that could be viewed easily via your cell phone.

EDIT: To Clarify: Each person plays all of the other players

However, having spent the last 24 hours,beavering away at it, without food or sleep, I think I am very close.
It comprises three worksheets and is far too involved to post here as a solution. So I will likely post some snippets and maybe PM you with a link to the file in Dropbox.
Are you ok with that?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
@lakesidegolfer I think I've about done it.
I would ask that you test it because I'm worn out! ;)
Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 22.09.15.png

Upvote 0
Solution by Eric

Upvote 0
Solution by Eric
@Brian from Maui Brian, Erics solution is solely for establishing match pairings.

The spreadsheet I provided for @lakesidegolfer is doing something entirely different.
They go out as a group of 4 or possibly 5 players and all record their gross scores for all 18 holes.
When they are finished, they retrospectively wish to compute the result of up to 10 pairs matches, each player vs each of the the others.
They have a $10 wager on the outcome of each match. In addition, if a match is won or lost over less than 18 holes, a secondary match is played over the remaining holes. There is a $5 wager on the outcome of any secondary match.
My spreadsheet, hopefully, makes the determination of the results and the subsequent 'who pays who, what' far simpler that trying to do it manually.

If anybody is interested in a copy of the spreadsheet then by all means fire me a PM and I will provide a link.

Upvote 0
@Brian from Maui Brian, Erics solution is solely for establishing match pairings.

The spreadsheet I provided for @lakesidegolfer is doing something entirely different.
They go out as a group of 4 or possibly 5 players and all record their gross scores for all 18 holes.
When they are finished, they retrospectively wish to compute the result of up to 10 pairs matches, each player vs each of the the others.
They have a $10 wager on the outcome of each match. In addition, if a match is won or lost over less than 18 holes, a secondary match is played over the remaining holes. There is a $5 wager on the outcome of any secondary match.
My spreadsheet, hopefully, makes the determination of the results and the subsequent 'who pays who, what' far simpler that trying to do it manually.

If anybody is interested in a copy of the spreadsheet then by all means fire me a PM and I will provide a link.
I will like to have a copy of your solution, I am trying to make something very similar to your solution, thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Hopefully this link enables you to download and take a look at the file.

LakesideHackers.xlsx

All three tabs should be protected so as to only permit required data entry.
There is no password set if for example you wish to edit the Lakeside Hackers title.
Do remember to re-protect.

Happy golfing and stay safe.

Tony

Upvote 0
Hopefully this link enables you to download and take a look at the file.

LakesideHackers.xlsx

All three tabs should be protected so as to only permit required data entry.
There is no password set if for example you wish to edit the Lakeside Hackers title.
Do remember to re-protect.

Happy golfing and stay safe.

Tony
Thanks a lot , it has being a big help, I started an example and it works fine, I think I can make some changes for what I need, have you ever try to use this example in a excel in a smart phone ?

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot , it has being a big help, I started an example and it works fine, I think I can make some changes for what I need, have you ever try to use this example in a excel in a smart phone ?
Glad i is of use. No, I have to say that I have never ever used it at all in earnest.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlienSx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back