SQL to Excel

gazy007

Hi,

I need help regarding a query I run from MS SQL and pull the data in Microsoft Excel 2010.

I have inserted another worksheet so one of our user can add more columns to analyse cost or reason for returns/failures.

When return department add another line to an existing data in MS SQL and the other user refresh the excel spreadsheet then manually added columns

go out-of-sync.

Is there anyway when a user refresh the RAWDATA or any changes on SQL table then it should sync my formatted worksheet.

It is a bit complicated to explain as well. Thanks in advance or let me know if I have not made any sense.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
does each record have a unique key, if so you could use a vlookup, localised in the workbook against new data runs

Upvote 0
The short answer is no.

A workaround would be to enter the cost reasons on a different sheet (or a different section of the rawdata sheet) and also enter a linking id (eg: unique return id or invoice) - then use a vlookup or index/match formula to bring this info into the columns to the right of the rawdata. If the user is very attentive to always following the procedure it will work ok, otherwise you wind up with a mess similar to what you're currently dealing with.

Alternatively, sometimes you can enter the reasons directly into your SQL db and then just include those fields in your excel query. When this option is available, the disadvantage is it's much more time consuming to switch to the SQL entry screen and enter this input, so it often doesn't get done especially if more than one user is involved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrcsbenson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back