Stacked Column Pivot Chart Plot Grand Total as a Series

MartinSmith

Hi all

Is it possible to create a Pivot Chart like this? The line is the total of the other series.

I can create this by inserting a normal chart then choosing the total series as Stacked Line with Markers.

Using a Pivot Chart you don't seem to be able to add the Grand Totals to the Pivot Chart in any way. I would then be able to format the series as shown below.

The important thing is automating the update process.

tinypic.com
[/URL][/IMG]

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi Martin,

Yes, it can be done but will take a little work on the part of Excel trickery.

1) Add a Cummulative column of data to your pivot table =SUMIF([[Region]],[Region],[[Sales]]) - where region is your 1,2,3 and the Sales are the Values in your chart. Note that you will have to put the first region and sales in double brackets if your data is in a table so that it uses the whole range to sum.
2) Create your pivot table and add the new cumulative column of data to it in the Values section of the pivot table with a sum of the data.
3) Create pivot chart
4) You will now have 4 more series on your pivot chart. Select each new series and "Change Chart Type" to a line chart.
5) Select 3 of the 4 legend value that are the same for your new line and delete them.

Hope this helps.

Steve=True

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure why you need to add a line, when the column heights already show that information, but you could add either a calculated field or calculated item (depending on your data layout) to the table.

Upvote 0
Hi Rory

Yh I asked the same question, but that's what 'they' want! I tried the calculated field but the data layout would permit me to use it.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back