start date and end date of the month in broad cast calendar

pavan5

Board Regular
Can someone help me in finding out a formula for figuring out first day and last of the month for a broad cast calendar. Example for Jun 1 2017, the start of month should be May 26th 2017 since Jun 1st falls on a Thursday end date would be normal Jun 30 2017, like wise for Jul 2017, the start date of the month would be June 29 2017 for Aug 2017 it would be July 31 2017 ...The first day(1) of any month should be on Monday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Welcome to the board, pavan5.

In order to help you we would have to know the rules that apply to your situation. Asking something that anyone should know, such as "What is the first day of the month?" is easy: The first of the month is always "the first day of the actual calendar month". But you are apparently working under different rules here, and while some may know what you're talking about, I have no idea. What rules apply to make 26 May the "start of the month" for June 2017? What other rules apply?

Upvote 0
^^ +1

I also don't understand what logic makes May 26th the first day of June, and June 29th the first day of July, and July 31 for August.
The 3 scenarios don't show anything consistently similar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also the END date desn't make sense either..

Is June 29th the First day of July, or is it the 2nd to last day of June (because June 30th is the last day of June) ??? I don't see how it can be both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the board, pavan5.

In order to help you we would have to know the rules that apply to your situation. Asking something that anyone should know, such as "What is the first day of the month?" is easy: The first of the month is always "the first day of the actual calendar month". But you are apparently working under different rules here, and while some may know what you're talking about, I have no idea. What rules apply to make 26 May the "start of the month" for June 2017? What other rules apply?

Sorry if I'm not clear here, I work in entertainment and media field and here there is something called Broad Cast Calendar which is very different from ISO standard calendar. Here they make changes to calendar such that every month has almost same number of weeks and every week starts with a Monday and ends on Sunday.

Upvote 0
Sorry if I'm not clear here, I work in entertainment and media field and here there is something called Broad Cast Calendar which is very different from ISO standard calendar. Here they make changes to calendar such that every month has almost same number of weeks and every week starts with a Monday and ends on Sunday.

Upvote 0
So then if the actual calendar 1st day of a month is NOT Monday, then you want the first day of that month to be the previous Monday?
And the last day of the month should still be whatever is the actual calendar last day?

Which version of Excel are you using?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So then if the actual calendar 1st day of a month is NOT Monday, then you want the first day of that month to be the previous Monday?
And the last day of the month should still be whatever is the actual calendar last day?
yes that's right..

Upvote 0
So I'll ask again...

If today was June 29th.
Do I call that plain old June 29th, or the 1st day of July ?

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back