Stop users password protecting a workbook

TheAntisocial

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

Is there a way to prevent users from password protecting a workbook?

A colleague of mine has several workbooks that he updates using a seperate workbook and VBA, however, depsite being told not to, some of the owners of the workbooks he updates keep password protecting them which prevents his code working.

Is there any code that he can use in these workbooks to prevent users from password protecting them?
Some sort of intercept that would pop up a 'stop it' message would be ideal.

Thanks for any help.

Dan.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Michael - that would be ideal but my colleague has no idea what the passwords are, or who will add them. SO sadly won't work in this instance.

Kyle - that's not what i wanted to hear but thanks for the reply, i guess he'll just have to think of something else!

Dan.

Upvote 0
if your colleague is the originator of the files that are being password protected he could install an open event that disables the ability to password protect

not sure of the code but am sure i have seen it on forum here

the other way is to create a macro or on close event that creates a data only copy of the workbook on closing to either a network location or to csv file etc that could then be used as the data source

this would not need the password as file is already open, this macro could be set a a close button and the file save / save as disabled

if he has a requirement for the data files then the person providing them should be made aware of the copies and to send those instead of passworded version.

however these are only workarounds for the problem that should be solved by IT policy from the management that oversees both your colleague and the person pass-wording the files.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKN2GO

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back