stuck trying to get userform to update record....

kbishop94

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have the code figured out how to populate the form with a specific record that can be entered into a field, and then upon updating that field on the form, the rest of the form is populated wiht that specific record (which is what I want... ) However, I cannot get it to paste the new (updated) data to the existing record (it only copies it over to a brand new record and not the one that it should be copying over top of)

Here is the code I have thus far:

Code:
Private Sub txtIncidentID1_AfterUpdate()

[COLOR=#006400]' Lookup Incident ID Number[/COLOR]

If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Sheet1.Range("A:A"), Me.txtIncidentID1.Value) = 0 Then

[COLOR=#006400]' If no such ID exists:[/COLOR]

MsgBox "Incident ID not found."
Me.txtIncidentID1.Value = ""
End If

[COLOR=#006400]' ID is found so now the code is populating the rest of the user form with the data from that record linked to the specific IncidentID that was found:[/COLOR]

With Me

.DTPicker3 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 2, 0)
.cboLocation1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 6, 0)
.cboPriority1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 4, 0)
.txtCAPA1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 18, 0)
.cboCustomer1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 7, 0)
.txtProblem1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 8, 0)
.txtAction1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 9, 0)
.cboIssuedBy1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 10, 0)
.cboOnBehalfOf1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 11, 0)
.cboIssuedTo1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 12, 0)
.cboIssuedTo21 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 13, 0)
.txtCostProd1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 20, 0)
.txtCostShip1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 21, 0)
.txtCostConcess1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 22, 0)
.txtCostTravel1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 23, 0)
.txtCostFacility1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 24, 0)
.txtCostOther1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 25, 0)
.txtCost1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 16, 0)
.txtNotes1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup((Me.txtIncidentID1), Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange"), 19, 0)

Now here is where I cannot get it to place the data correctly onto the existing record that was selected:

I have found various methods of accomplishing this, but nothing I try i can make work (?) Thanks for any assistance offered.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
You could simplify the look of your code and its readability by

1. Using a variables
Me is not required wth the userform - sometimes it helps to clarify references

2. Using With Application.WorksheetFunction

Code:
Dim [COLOR=#ff0000]DynRng[/COLOR] As Rng, [COLOR=#ff0000]Inc_ID[/COLOR] As String

Set DynRng = Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange")
Inc_ID = txtIncidentID1

With [COLOR=#ff0000]Application.WorksheetFunction
[/COLOR]
  DTPicker3 = .VLookup(Inc_ID, DynRng, 2, 0)
  cboLocation1 = .VLookup(Inc_ID, DynRng, 6, 0)
  cboPriority1 = .VLookup(Inc_ID, DynRng, 4, 0)
  txtCAPA1 = .VLookup(Inc_ID, DynRng, 18, 0)

etc
End With

3. Using underscores like this when naming objects
cbo_Location1
txt_CAPA1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Values in your code are looked up in Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange")
The first column of that range is where you need to find the matching entry

Perhaps something like this to find the row in the range...
Code:
Dim DynRng as Range, Inc_ID As String, r As Long
set DynRng = Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange")
Inc_ID = txtIncidentID1
[COLOR=#008000]r[/COLOR] = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Inc_ID, DynRng.Resize(,1),0)
(DynRng.Resize(,1) is the first column of the range)

Your userform is populated like this
Code:
DTPicker3 = .VLookup(Inc_ID, DynRng, [COLOR=#b22222]2[/COLOR], 0)
The red number in the lookup is the column reference required

The r is the row reference, the number is the column reference in "DynamicRange"
Write to worksheet like this
Code:
DynRng.Cells([COLOR=#008000]r[/COLOR], [COLOR=#b22222]2[/COLOR]).value= DTPicker3.Value

It probably makes sense to add a textbox (txt_RowRef) to your userform to hold the value of r which would could then be used directly in your code. Something like this...
Code:
DynRng.Cells([COLOR=#008000]txt_RowRef[/COLOR].[COLOR=#008000]Value[/COLOR], [COLOR=#b22222]2[/COLOR]).value= DTPicker3.Value

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Values in your code are looked up in Sheet1.Range("DynamicRange")
The first column of that range is where you need to find the matching entry

Thank you, Yongle. Everything you suggested worked PERFECTLY! :)

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
icon14.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back