Subset Record Counter in Form

AlexaS

Board Regular
Ok so I've been searching around and I haven't been able to find anything. The end user changed requirements on me (again, yay! *sobs*).

Here's the setup:

I have a field labeled PLANT in the CLAIMS table. In a form the first field selected for a new record is PLANT. They want a counter that (once they enter the PLANT value) will tell them how many times that plant has been used in the table. For example, pretend we have the following (simplified) table of data:

ID
PLANT
A
B
C
B
B
D
A
C
A
A

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

ID is just an autonumber that, if I can do this, will have no bearing on anything going forward (which I can probably even delete). What I'm sure they would like is for each entry on the form to indicate the number of times the PLANT had been used as of that entry. I don't care about that.

What I'm trying to do is on the new record to have a counter that if they input A as the PLANT the counter will show '4' (or even '5' if we have it count the record that is being worked on) or if they input D, the counter will show '1'. The counter number when displaying past records (for example the very first A) would still display '4' (or not display at all except on new records).

What they will be doing with this counter is then combining PLANT and Counter to create a unique Claim# that is sequential by PLANT. The Claim# is then utilized to tie together three supporting tables.

I tried adding a text box to the form using =Count([PLANT]) but that just returns a total record count. Could/should I create a query to store these values and then attach the query to a text box on the form? Or a separate table that gets updated after each new record is added (I found code [here] that might work for that if I can figure out how to display it and where to put the event code)?

Any help is always gratefully received and fully appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I've gotten it to work: =DCount("[PLANT]","Claims","[PLANT]='" & [PLANT] & "'")+1

I'll do some more testing to make sure, but it seems to be working the way they need it to work now. Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back