SUM function does not work correctly for time formatted data in table & pivot table

chocolatedogs

Using Excel 2016 for Win. I have time data in a column like 00:00:28 - if I use the SUM function =SUM(E9:E14) I get 00:00 in the calculated field. If I do the operation "long-hand" =E9+E10+E11+E12+E13+E14 I get the correct value.

I did not generate the data, so I thought some of it must be text. I have formatted all the time cells as [mm]:s to try to overcome this. I also copied and pasted special and toyed with the original time data and formatting of the original data in a hh:mm:ss format before adding/summing it - it is not being seen as a time formatted cell obviously, but I don't understand why the two methods get different answers.

I am using the time data in pivot tables too, and tried formatting as [hh]:mm or [mm]:ss as recommended around the 'net but it still gives me 00:00 as the total. I know there can be issues when times add to greater than 24 hours, but I thought the Custom formatting was to deal with this. I checked out the date grouping for Pivot tables but didn't think that was it.

I am going in circles trying to figure out the formatting issues!, and losing the little bit of mind I have left :)

Thanks for any help or feedback!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
The values must actually be text values.
Adjusting how the cell is 'Formatted' will not correct/change a Text Value to a Numeric Value.

How do the values orginally get into those cells ? Is it a formula?

E9+E10 works because any math operator like + - / * will coerce a text value into a number 'If it can'.
Basically anything that looks like it might be a number, is used as a number.

The SUM function doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The values must actually be text values.
Adjusting how the cell is 'Formatted' will not correct/change a Text Value to a Numeric Value.

How do the values orginally get into those cells ? Is it a formula?

E9+E10 works because any math operator like + - / * will coerce a text value into a number 'If it can'.
Basically anything that looks like it might be a number, is used as a number.

The SUM function doesn't do that.

Thanks so very much! It makes perfect sense now.

The data is "raw" data that I receive from another system that I can't change.

I am putting the data into a Pivot Table and need the sum of the times in the final answer. I know dates/times can be changed to decimal equivalents but I am not sure the best way to handle this in the most straightforward manner. Could you possibly direct me here also?

Thanks again a great, quick response!

I know date and time functions can be converted to other formats such decimal equivalents, but I need to see the final sum as time so I am not sure the most direct way to get there.

Upvote 0
Probably the easiest way to convert them to real time values

Copy Any blank cell
Higlight your range of Text Time Values (E9:E14)
Right Click - Paste Special - Values - Add - OK

Upvote 0
Probably the easiest way to convert them to real time values

Copy Any blank cell
Higlight your range of Text Time Values (E9:E14)
Right Click - Paste Special - Values - Add - OK

Thanks again - I thought I had tried the Paste Special route, but obviously did not do it correctly. You save my sanity - very grateful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back