Sum values are changing after sorting

zowee

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I have a column that is full of sum values from a data set. Then, I have another column that I set up to give me values based on this formula, essentially: (A1/$A$2) [it's to find proportions]. When I go to custom sort the table by the header in the formula column, the sum values get messed up which messes up the values in the 'formula' column. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep this from happening?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I have seen it happen before but I don't think that it should happen with such simple formulas. Are there any other formulas in the table that is being sorted?

Typically it would happen when you try to sort formulas that contain functions which are able to sort themselves, when you try to sort the table you can get conflicts.

Upvote 0
I have seen it happen before but I don't think that it should happen with such simple formulas. Are there any other formulas in the table that is being sorted?

Typically it would happen when you try to sort formulas that contain functions which are able to sort themselves, when you try to sort the table you can get conflicts.
There aren't any other formulas in the table but the 'formula' column along with another column (without a formula) are set up to automatically make a graph. That is the only other thing happening in the table.

Upvote 0
The graph shouldn't make any difference. That will only be looking at the table, it won't be making any changes (on a read, not write basis).

Could you post the formula column (and the columns with the data that the formulas read) using the XL2BB tool so that I can copy and paste it to excel in order to try and replicate the problem?

If you are not able to use the add in, could you upload a sanitised copy of your workbook to a file sharing site like dropbox and post a link to it in the forum?
Please remove any confidential data from the copy that you are uploading before doing so, if there is confidential data that relates to the question then it should be fictionalised (change peoples names for cartoon characters, etc).

I'm going offline until morning, it is likely that another forum member in a different time zone will pick this up overnight, I will check in the morning to see if anyone has been able to help you resolve this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back