SumIf with Named Ranges and Data Validation

melissapedia

I've tried to research the combination of variables I think could be causing the problem, but I'm stumped.

I have a time tracking spreadsheet (a modified time card) that I'm using to record hours worked on projects, both paid and unpaid. I have a calculation for each period of time worked, then a data validation to the left of the calculation that denotes U (unpaid) or P (paid).

QPO1FocMGF_Sa0qBsr6UP3pz9CVEVJHxQBw4hWo-a4A

I would like to place a subtotal in C27 for named range 'Sunday1' (C18,C21,C24) when the cell to the left, named range Sunday1UP (B18,B21,B24), has a value of U. Sunday1UP has data validations sourced on "Audit!H2:H3" (where U is Audit!H3).

My current formula for C27 is:
=SUMIF(Sunday1UP,"U",Sunday1) (I have also substituted "=Audit!H3" for "U" or "='U'")
=SUMIF(range,criteria,sum range)

My function arguments are turning up errors on named ranges.

_zfX8rHr4107uZrtgdHRQPz7vfgQF-nXlkpMHEycVwA

These are the cells included in the named ranges. Sunday1 are all numeric results calculated from a formula such as '=(C17-C16)*24'. Sunday1UP are cells containing either 'U' or 'P', formatted as text.

d7URVFtiHgnRrwi3u7IXrZ1mTNhk6gt7rKcbNxCMFEE

Where am I going wrong?

Also, please disregard the tally in cell C26 - it is an old totaling calculation, not the Paid subtotal - yet.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I've done a little bit more testing. I think it has something to do with the data validation (U / P) in Sunday1UP (B18,B21,B24). Still stumped, though.

Upvote 0
SOLVED

Looks like the formula throws a #VALUE! because of the non-contiguous ranges. Once I changed them to contiguous ranges, it worked just fine. I hadn't expected non-contiguous ranges to be an issue.

Sunday1UP became B16:B24 and Sunday1 became C16:C24; the fact that there are times listed in C16:17, C19:C20, C22:23 didn't end up mattering at all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back