SUMIFS - Multiple Criteria of a Time Range for a Specific Date

EnergySaver

All,

I am a novice on this site ... with this as my first post! ... I searched for SUMIFS posts that would have answered my question, but alas, did not find an answer so have created this post to get your help.

My Need: To sum-up the total kilo-watts being consumed on a specific day for a specific time frame

My problem: I can get a SUMIFS formula to work with a specific date OR time BUT NOT when I try a specific date with a from-time and to-time.

The raw data is in a tab by itself with over 10,000 rows which basically looks like the following table:

B.date
B.time
B.kW
12/15/2017
04:52:18
12/15/2017
04:53:18
12/15/2017
04:54:18

<tbody style="border-collapse: collapse; width: auto;">
</tbody>

I have a separate "summary" tab where I put in the date and then the time range (from and to) and hope to see Total kW but I am getting 0 as my total; here is what my summary tab looks like:

B
C
D
E
Date
From Time
To Time
Total kW
12/15/2017
04:50:00
04:52:18
SUMIFS formula = 0

<tbody style="border-collapse: collapse; width: auto;">
</tbody>

Here are the details concerning my SUMIFS formula ...
  • I created a Named-range for each column in the raw data tab (B.date; B.time; and B.kW)
  • =SUMIFS(B.kW,B.Time,D3) returns the correct value of 126.283
  • But the minute I add any Boolean logic or more criteria - I get a returned value of 0
  • I tried: =SUMIFS(B.kW,B.time,"<="&D3) and the returned value was 0<strike style="background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px;"></strike>
  • I tried: =SUMIFS(B.kW,B.time,">="&C3,B.time,"<="&D3,B.date,B3) and the returned value was 0
<strike style="background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; text-align: left; text-decoration: line-through; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"></strike><strike style="background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; text-align: left; text-decoration: line-through; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"></strike>
Any and all help will be gratefully appreciated ... Thank You.

P.S. I am running Excel 2016 on a Windows 10 OS

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
=SUMIFS(B.kW,B.date,A3,B.time,">="&B3,B.time,"<="&C3)

gives 126.283. So, let's test the following:

=COUNT(B.kW)
=COUNT(B.time)
=COUNT(B.date)

What results do you get?

Upvote 0
10,080 for =COUNT(B.kW)
5,040 for =COUNT(B.time)
10,080 for =COUNT(B.date)

I am sure you are going to explain why B.time is only 5,040 especially when I look at Name Manager ... the "Refers To" column shows $*$3:$*$10082 for each named-range (which is 10,080 rows) ... so I am puzzled as to why B.time is only 5,040???

Here's some additional information about B.time ...
  • The data in B.time is a calculated field
  • the Fluke meter that was monitoring the facility had two fields for "time"
  • Field #1 holds the actual time but always showed it as "AM"
  • Field #2 shows the true or actual AM or PM

I used the following formula to convert from a time range of 00:00:00-to-12:59:59 to a time range of 00:00:00-to-23:59:59 ...

=IF(D3="PM",IF(TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")<"12:00:00",TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")+TIME(12,0,0),TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")),IF(TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")-TIME(12,0,0)<0,TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss"),TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")-TIME(12,0,0)))

This formula accurately changes a 01 PM time to a 13 time and it also handles the tricky part of making 12-AM to be 00 and 12-PM to be 12!

Many thanks for your help so far ... [COLOR=[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2[/URL] 22222]I look forward to hearing from you soon![/COLOR]

Upvote 0
This problem is SOLVED!

Aladin,

My hat and appreciation goes out to you ... you got me pointed in the right direction and it became a data problem versus a SUMIFS formula problem!

I determined that half of the time entries in B.time were not subject to a calculation ... so, I added a "* 1" into two spots of my formula and voila, the count for B.time went to 10,080 and my SUMIFS formula worked.

Here's my B.time corrected formula or where I added the multiply by 1 tweak ("*1") ...

=IF(D3="PM",IF(TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")<"12:00:00",TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")+TIME(12,0,0),TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")*1),IF(TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")-TIME(12,0,0)<0,TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")*1,TEXT(C3,"[hh]:mm:ss")-TIME(12,0,0)))

... and here is my successful SUMIFS formula ...

=SUMIFS(B.kW,B.Date,B3,B.Time,">="&C3,B.Time,"<="&D3)

I trust this detail will help others solve their problem much faster than I was able to solve it!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back