SUMPRODUCT issues

jdEXCEL777

Hello Everyone. I need help with the following SUMPRODUCT formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(($C$4:$C$13*$E$4:$E$13)*($B$4:$B$13="AA")*($A$4:$A$13="Landings"))

What it's basically doing is that it's summing the product of content of array in column C with content of array in column E, provided that the content of array in column B is "AA" and content of array in column A is "Landings."

The problem is that I am having a #Value error. I think the reason why is because some of the cells in the array C4:C13 contain text. And because I am using the asterix " * " at the beginning of the formula ($C$4:$C$13*$E$4:$E$13) to multiply, it is giving me an error. I know that because when I delete the text from the C4:C13 array, it works perfectly, just the way I want it. However, I need to leave the text in that array. Is there anything I can do to have the formula skip or ignore the cells containing text in the C4:C13 range and give me the result I am looking for? If I can figure this out, it would save me lots of time.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
try this

=SUMIFS(C4:C13,A4:A13,"Landings",B4:B13,"AA")+SUMIFS(E4:E13,A4:A13,"Landings",B4:B13,"AA")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or change your formula to:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT($C$4:$C$13,$E$4:$E$13,--($B$4:$B$13="AA"),--($A$4:$A$13="Landings"))

Upvote 0
Or change your formula to:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT($C$4:$C$13,$E$4:$E$13,--($B$4:$B$13="AA"),--($A$4:$A$13="Landings"))
@AhoyNC
Although your formula does operate correctly for numbers it will error with text. the OP did specify that they had text in the ranges they wish to SUM.

Upvote 0
@bstory84
See below. The version I posted seems to work with text in column C.
Excel Workbook
ABCDE
4LandingsAA12
5LandingsG23
6rtD34
7uiAAio5
8LandingsAAty6
9weTY67
10qE78
11tyAA89
12LandingsAA910
13LandingsAA1011
Sheet

Upvote 0
SUMPRODUCT, just like SUM, essentially ignores text in the sum range if invoked with the comma syntax (what AhoyNC does)...

The * syntax cannot ignore non-numeric text values in the sum range.

Upvote 0
Thank you both AhoyNC & Aladin for setting me straight. I'm sure i am incorrect but i assumed they wanted the SUM (addition) and not the Multiplied result. I apologize for any confusion i caused.

Upvote 0
AhoyNC, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

The syntax you proposed works perfectly. EXACTLY what I was looking for :) . THANK YOU SO MUCH. However, could you please explain to me how it works? What I mean is that I understand " $C$4:$C$13,$E$4:$E$13 " basically multiplies the sum of the product of those arrays, and replacing the asterix with the comma solved the #VALUE error. However, how does the " ,--($B$4:$B$13="AA"),--($A$4:$A$13="Landings") " portion of the formula work? How do the two hyphens or minus signs work in terms of restricting the calculations to cells containing "AA" and "Landings" ?

Please explain it to me. Aside from that, it works beautifully. THANK YOU AGAIN AhoyNC.

Upvote 0
the --() syntax forces TRUE/FALSE results to return as 1/0. So, in the sumproduct, anything that would return false is 0.

Upvote 0
Glad that worked for you.
The double negative signs work this way.

$B$4:$B$13="AA" will return the following array (based on the above example).
{TRUE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE}

When we put the double negative in front it's the same as multiplying the array by 1 which will change the TRUE & False to 1 & 0.
So --($B$4:$B$13="AA") returns.
{1;0;0;1;1;0;0;1;1;1}
If a row is not equal to AA then it gets multiplied by 0 in the SUMPRODUCT.
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back