Text Box: Show Values in Linked Cell

Jambo11

I have a cell that displays a text string via a formula. I want to link the cell to a text box in such a way that it displays the values displayed in the cell.

Would this be possible without using VBA?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
How you do this depends on the type of TextBox you have.

If you have an ActiveX TextBox embedded in a worksheet, you can use the LinkedCell Property of the TextBox to display the value of the cell.

If you have a Form Control TextBox embedded in a worksheet, you can select it, then enter a reference to the cell you want to link into the formula bar. For example: =A1

Neither of those links requires VBA to be enabled, however you won't have much of the normal functionality of the objects if VBA is not enabled.

Upvote 0
The cell that I want to link the text box to is linked to 25 other cells:

=E5&E6&E7&"."&E8&E9&E10&"."&E11&E12&E13&"."&E14&E15&E16&"."&E17&E18&E19&"."&E20&E21&E22&"."&E23&E24&E25&"."&E20&E21&E22&"."&E23&E24&E25&"."&E26&E27&E28&"."&E29&E30&E31&"."&E32&E33&E34&"."&E35&E36&E37&"."&E38

An example of what the cell displays: 741.P9G.L17.F8A.JDQ.13P.1DA.13P.1DA.711.966.414.6G6.1

Even if I simply link the Text Box to the cell that contains the formula nothing is displayed in the Text Box.

This is an ActiveX Text Box. I've no idea where to get the Form Control Text Box; it isn't shown in "Insert Controls."

Upvote 0
Your example works in my mockup using an ActiveX TextBox. I placed the formula in cell A2 then placed A2 in the LinkedCell property (no quotes, no equal sign).

What happens when you try to use an ActiveX TextBox with a simpler example- say linking to a cell that has a simple constant like "ABC"?

If you enter (type) a value in the TextBox, it will overwrite the formula in the LinkedCell (it's linked both ways).
Does that happen with your linked TextBox?

You can get a Form Control TextBox through Ribbon Insert > Shapes >Illustrations > (select the Textbox Icon)

Upvote 0
I got it working. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong that prevented the value from showing up in the text box, but it's working now.

Thanks for the assist!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back