Timelines/stacked bar charts

smurrells

I have read lots of information regarding timelines,stacked bar charts, gannt charts, but have not been succesful in displaying information I require.

I have a certain number of projects on the go at once, all at different stages. I want to be able to display all these stages at once for each project together based on the actual or expected dates.

To give an example: Say I was a housing developer (I'm not!) and had 5 different houses I was working on. I would want a chart that would display each of these 5 houses as a seperate series. For each house I would want to know when the plans would be submitted to planning, when a decision is expected, when I could start construction and when people could move in.
So I would want a stacked bar chart, the first stage, say up to Dec '09 is pre-planning, before planning in Dec '09. The next stage is awaiting a decision until July'10 when a decision is expected. Third stage is construction etc

So from the sketches I have, a stacked bar chart should be possible. Time on the X axis, hopefully a continuos data series. On the Y axis would be my 5 projects and the stacked bars would show pre-planning taking up until Dec '09 then awaiting decision until July '10.

This will allow me to see where all projects are in time relativeto each other.

If anyone can help me work out how to create such a chart I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Simon Murrells

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.

smurrells

I've had a look at the Gaant chart information on the website suggested as well as looking for other information on there. Can't seem to find anything that would suggest that Instead of having seperate tasks I can have several projects in one chart with the different tasks/stages(that are independent of each other).

I'm sure it is all about how you initially display the data, my major issue seems to be that I cannot make the X axis into a continuous data series.

Simon

smurrells

Hi. I think in a manner I have managed it now using all of the links I have bodged something together.

Many Thanks for the links,

Simon

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CraneS

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...