Tips, Macros, Loops to begin Excel Consulting service as VBA beginner

gadhikari91

Hi
I’ve used excel a lot throughout undergrad and graduateschool but never knew about VBA until after graduating. I used a lot of powerpivot and VLOOKUPS during an internship. Also, I use excel quite a bit in myengineering position and started taking courses online to learn VBA. My dad hasa business where they use excel to store data and I’ve started helping himorganize this data with Excel VBA and it’s remarkable the things I’ve learnedand applied, however, if I were to start posting ads in some fashion to offerconsulting I’m sure I’d be asked of things that I probably cannot do with mybeginner’s experience.
I wanted to ask what some powerful macros and loops that Ishould really try to understand that would help tackle the various types ofquestions and tasks that businesses could ask me to do for them. Anything wouldhelp a lot.
Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I'm going to try to be a nice as I can........

ummmm.......

You're kidding right??

It takes years (many years) to learn enough to put yourself out there to do consulting. It's good that you do powerpivot a vlookups, but.......seriously, from what you've said here, you're not ready to do consulting. Don't get me wrong....I'm not either, not by far.

"What are some powerful macros and loops".....everything integrates into everything. It all works together. A loop, for instance, is only one small part of what could be a very BIG project/solution to someone's problem.

You can take this for whatever you think it's worth, but I don't think you'll make it far if you try this right now. Of course my opinion is based solely on what you said of yourself...maybe I got the wrong idea of your talents.

Upvote 0
Hi, so I guess when I say "consulting service" I don't necessarily mean consulting in that nature. While I was in school to make some money and even after, I've posted in the craiglist in my general area and have been successful in preparing people's spreadsheet with formulas they couldn't do, creating charts, tables, and graphs. A lot of the formulas and charts were various long engineering formulas that needed to be prepared to a graph, or I'd get an task for a used car shop that wanted me to make a sheet involving compound interest and have the row freeze when a balance was met. Things of that nature that may or may not even need macros. But now I've realized I could've used macros a bunch. I understand I need at least 2-3 years before even thinking I could tackle a huge database for someone. But for a small business who has 7-8 sheets of simple tasks, I think even with a years experience I could would be able to help. Don't get me wrong, I know how difficult and long it takes to become and expert. Again, I didn't mean consulting in that sense.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Also, I think making a simple userform with simple data entry is also not difficult and made one for my dad's friend's company which they use. Things like that.

Upvote 0
Hi
I’ve used excel a lot throughout undergrad and graduateschool but never knew about VBA until after graduating. I used a lot of powerpivot and VLOOKUPS during an internship. Also, I use excel quite a bit in myengineering position and started taking courses online to learn VBA. My dad hasa business where they use excel to store data and I’ve started helping himorganize this data with Excel VBA and it’s remarkable the things I’ve learnedand applied, however, if I were to start posting ads in some fashion to offerconsulting I’m sure I’d be asked of things that I probably cannot do with mybeginner’s experience.
I wanted to ask what some powerful macros and loops that Ishould really try to understand that would help tackle the various types ofquestions and tasks that businesses could ask me to do for them. Anything wouldhelp a lot.
Thanks.

gadhikari91,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

See if something, in the below link(s), of my most up to date list will help you:

Training / Books / Sites as of 3/2/2018

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...dations-online-excel-courses.html#post5024983

Upvote 0
Another good idea is to follow posts like this, look at the questions and see some of the brilliant answers given.

I often go away and try to resolve the issue myself then look back at the answers given.

One of main things I have learned from this idea is that the question I have answered is not the answer to the question being asked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back