Tips on Optimizing Memory Use by Excel Books

largeselection

Quick Summary: Is it possible to simulate closing Excel and opening Excel from within a workbook using a Macro?

Some Details: Basically I have a workbook which runs and when it is done I see that the memory use (in the Ctrl+alt+del system tasks section) for Excel is at 1,250MB. It won't let me update a pivot table I have in the workbook because it says the system is out of resources. I noticed that if I close out of the Excel and re-open the file, Excel will only be at 270MB and everything works fine so it appears to be the result of the code that I'm running that causes the issue. So is it possible to simulate the closing of excel without actually closing excel?

More Details: The way the workbook works now is I get a large CSV data file. So in my code, I create a connection via ODBC to that text file and pull in some data (in one example 300K rows). Then in my workbook about 35 columns of formulas are added to the table that imports and the formulas all drag down to the bottom. I then copy/paste values all those columns since there are a ton of formulas over a lot of cells so I value them out to help the size. That worksheet (containing the original data+35 columns of formulas) is copied into a new workbook, which I automatically save as a new CSV file. I then delete the data (and query) from the original workbook. I then alter the external data connection (again via ODBC to a CSV file) for a pivot table to reflect the name/address of the new CSV file that I created (with formulas) and refresh to update the data.

Everything seems to run fine until I try and refresh the pivot table. At that point it says "ODBC exceeds system resources" and when I look at system tasks I see 1,250MB. But at that point, the connection for that pivot table has already been changed. So if I close the workbook and then re-open it I see that system tasks has Excel at only 280MB and when the workbook re-opens the pivot table/connection automatically refreshes (and since the connection has already been established) the updated data is reflected in the table.

So does this seem like a crazy process? Do you have suggestions on how I could accomplish this in a less "system-hoggy" way?

THANKS!

what's your connection's file like

Ribbon Bar
Data > Connections

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
This is the code that creates the connection to the CSV database which is created by the code:

Code:
ThisWorkbook.Connections.Add "NewQuery", "", _
       Array(Array( _
       "ODBC;DefaultDir=" & Fpath & ";Driver={Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)};DriverId=27;FI" _
       ), Array( _
       "L=text;MaxBufferSize=2048;MaxScanRows=8;PageTimeout=5;SafeTransactions=0;Threads=3;UserCommitSync=Yes;" _
       )), Array( _
       "SELECT * FROM `" & DBName & ".csv` `" & DBName & "`"), 2

Upvote 0
I was think more of, how many old connections are left in your file, i cleared 9000+ from one of mine the other day through being sloppy

Data > Connections

Upvote 0
There's only one connection. That one.

At the start of my code it deletes all connections in that workbook, then it creates one when it imports the data from the CSV file, then it adds those columns of formulas which are valued out, copies that tab to a new workbook and saves that as another CSV file, then it deletes that info from the original workbook (and also deletes the query information & connection- so back to 0 connections). Then it creates a new connection to that new CSV file that is created as per the code I attached and assigns the pivot table to that connection.

So there's only 1 connection. Does anyone think it would help if I exported the new file with the columns that I add as a text (tab delimited) instead of a CSV? I noticed that the original CSV which I import is a .txt file that is a CSV, but the one that I create with the columns I add is a "microsoft excel comma separated values" file. so it's not a .txt format. Think that might be the issue?

Upvote 0
when you do this

then it deletes that info from the original workbook (and also deletes the query information & connection- so back to 0 connections)

can you delete the sheet that was involved and remake it ?

Upvote 0
Yes I could delete the whole tab rather than deleting the contents if you think that would be helpful.

I'll try it out and see what happens.

Upvote 0
delete the Taba and then save, and see what the result is

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back