Today() Pasting Value of Format

Tootlez

Board Regular
Hi all ...

My supervisor told me that we needed to add two columns to our sheets, one being [=TODAY()] and second [=TODAY()+30] and we need it formatted as yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss

We have to save our final files in CSV.

Fine and dandy until ... you have to reopen the file for any reason. The format converts to a built in format for the function.

What I'm wanting to do is - since columns are just filled down - to copy the value of the format from the function as text so that I can simply avoid having to change it over and over.
(Another issue that Excel seem to LOVE to do, is combine the cell in to an odd number every time the cell is sized too small for the whole format to be seen - but I know that cannot be avoided...)

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
yes :) Thanks! I keep forgetting about the Text function haha

[edit: I wanted to put solved in the title, but i cannot see a button to edit the original post]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad to help, thanks for the feedback.

We don't mark threads as solved here. We keep them open for the benefit of the community.

Upvote 0
Although I thought this would work ... It seems that it still changes the format back to mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm every time that file is opened instead of pasting the true value of the today formatted function.

I need another way...

Upvote 0
If you save as txt instead of csv you can choose the Text format for the column at Step 3 of the Text Import Wizard when you open it.

Upvote 0
I have to save it as a csv saving as another file type is adding work that I'm trying to avoid...

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the Text Import Wizard doesn't appear when you open a csv file. Parsing is handled automatically by Excel.

Upvote 0
yeah so i'm probably just stuck having to reformat it ...
I'm getting to the point of not having to as much, but every so often I need to edit the file.

if any one finds a way, it would be helpful...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back