Total multiple row values for multiple IDs

rnomis

This was difficult to describe in a single title.
Our new accounting system produces a monthly spreadsheet. Column C contains the Client name but only once. Column H contains the monthly spend for multiple product types

Example:
CLIENT PRODUCT NetValue
Client1 product 1 £100
Product2 £150
Product3 £1000
Client2 Product1 £300
Product3 £200
Client3 Product4 £25000
Client4 Product2 £2000

As you can see, some clients use different products and different numbers of products. Somehow, I need to total the spend for each client. Ideally in a new sheet which would show:
Client1 £1250
Client2 £500
Client3 £2500
Client4 £2000

This data is produced each month so I need to do this then calculate the cumulative spend over a 12 month period into a new sheet. I would really prefer a formula as our system has quite strict security with macros.

I hope this is clear and look forward to some help. Thanks is advance
Simon

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Select col C > Ctrl G > Blanks > = & uparrow > Ctrl enter.
This will fill the client name down & you can then use normal formulae

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I now discover that the supposedly blank cells are not actually blank. I discovered this when your reply didn't work. I selected some of the blank cells and clicked delete ad then tried again and just those cells I had deleted were selected. I don't know what is in these cells. Is there a way to delete the contents of these blank cells?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I now discover that the supposedly blank cells are not actually blank. I discovered this when your reply didn't work. I selected some of the blank cells and clicked delete ad then tried again and just those cells I had deleted were selected. I don't know what is in these cells. Is there a way to delete the contents of these blank cells?
Thanks

OK, I found a way of finding all non blank cells using 'find and matching cell contents' and deleted them. A bit long winded but not too hard to run each month. Unless you know a different way?
Thanks anyway

Upvote 0
OK, I found a way of finding all non blank cells using 'find and matching cell contents' and deleted them.
I'm not sure what you found. If the following is not sufficient, perhaps you can add more detail. For now, I have assumed that those 'blank' cells contained no more than 3 characters and that your client names all contain more than 3 characters.

Each formula copied down to the end of the column C data. The helper column could be hidden once populated.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1CLIENTPRODUCTNetValueIdxClientValue
2Client1product 11001Client11250
3Product21504Client2500
4Product310006Client325000
5Client2Product13007Client42000
6Product3200
7Client3Product425000
8Client4Product22000
Sum per client

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you found. If the following is not sufficient, perhaps you can add more detail. For now, I have assumed that those 'blank' cells contained no more than 3 characters and that your client names all contain more than 3 characters.

Each formula copied down to the end of the column C data. The helper column could be hidden once populated.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1CLIENTPRODUCTNetValueIdxClientValue
2Client1product 11001Client11250
3Product21504Client2500
4Product310006Client325000
5Client2Product13007Client42000
6Product3200
7Client3Product425000
8Client4Product22000
Sum per client

Great, this is just what I was looking for. I can now expand this to include other data. Many thanks for your help.
Simon

Upvote 0
Great, this is just what I was looking for. I can now expand this to include other data. Many thanks for your help.
Simon
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back