Totalling costs based on date column

rgreig

Hello, new here.
I am not sure if this is possible but I thought it was worth asking.

I have a spreadsheet with items and costs limited, as well as the date of the expense.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 195pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="259"><col style="width: 17pt;" width="22"> <col style="width: 81pt;" width="108"> <col style="width: 37pt;" width="49"> <col style="width: 60pt;" width="80"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" class="xl69" style="height: 15pt; width: 195pt;" align="center" height="20" width="259">Costs</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl68" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl67">Item</td> <td class="xl67">Cost</td> <td class="xl66">Date</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl70" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">1</td> <td>Item1</td> <td class="xl71">£5</td> <td class="xl65" align="right">01/08/2009</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl70" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">2</td> <td>Item2</td> <td class="xl71">£1</td> <td class="xl65" align="right">01/09/2009</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl70" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">3</td> <td>Item3</td> <td class="xl71">£2</td> <td class="xl65" align="right">02/09/2008</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
What I am trying to do now:
I would like the months of the year listed, and have some excel magic find costs for that month and total them.

For example, for the month of September, I would like Excel to recognise the items purchased in September (2 and 3) from the date column and total those costs, which would be £3.

I hope I am being clear and I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi There

Welcome to the Board

Sounds like you need help from our good friend the Pivot Table

Highlight your data and goto Data>>Pivot Table>>Finish

Drag date to Row Field and drag cost to value field (you may need to right click and select Sum as I think the default is Count)

Now right click the date column and select Group then highlight month.

That's you I reckon 20-30 seconds tops

Upvote 0
try this
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1ItemCostDate
21Item1501-Aug-2009Sep-093
32Item2101-Sep-2009
43Item3202-Sep-2009
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2=SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT($D$2:$D$4,"mmm-yy")=TEXT(F2,"mmm-yy")),C2:C4)

Upvote 0
Fantastic. Thanks for your very prompt reply.

Edit: Just noticed second reply. That also works! Thank you both of you :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back