Totalling the number of instances a time is between a set of time ranges

CyrusTexas

Hello:

I have a question about adding up the number of employees on duty (column F - #staff ; see below) at particular times (column E - time) based on start and end times of staff shifts in column B and C, respectively. The data in columns B, C, and E are in the 6:00:00 AM format

For instance, at 6:00A there are two folks at work (Brooke and Charlie only who work from 6A to 12 noon so I would like to 6A time to total 2 and likewise for 6:30a, 7:00a, AMD 7:30a) but at 8:00A there are four staff on duty (Brooke, Charlie, Charlotte, and Chloe). Likewise, At 14:00 only Carla and Chloe are at work, and so on.

I have tried sumifs, countifs, and a whole range of other expressions but have not had much success in getting formulae in column F to work based on the time range information in columns B and C and I do not want to use pivot tables.

I hope I have made my question clear and can someone please help? Thank you!

A B C D E F
Name Start End Time #staff
Brooke 6:00 12:00 6:00 2
Carla 14:00 16:00 6:30 2
Charlie 6:00 10:30 7:00 2
Charlotte 8:00 12:30 7:30 2
Chloe 8:00 14:30 8:00 4

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
hello:

I have a question about adding up the number of employees on duty (column f - #staff ; see below) at particular times (column e - time) based on start and end times of staff shifts in column b and c, respectively. The data in columns b, c, and e are in the 6:00:00 am format

for instance, at 6:00a there are two folks at work (brooke and charlie only who work from 6a to 12 noon so i would like to 6a time to total 2 and likewise for 6:30a, 7:00a, amd 7:30a) but at 8:00a there are four staff on duty (brooke, charlie, charlotte, and chloe). Likewise, at 14:00 only carla and chloe are at work, and so on.

I have tried sumifs, countifs, and a whole range of other expressions but have not had much success in getting formulae in column f to work based on the time range information in columns b and c and i do not want to use pivot tables.

I hope i have made my question clear and can someone please help? Thank you!

A b c d e f
name start end time #staff
brooke 6:00 12:00 6:00 2
carla 14:00 16:00 6:30 2
charlie 6:00 10:30 7:00 2
charlotte 8:00 12:30 7:30 2
chloe 8:00 14:30 8:00 4

e2=countifs($b$2:$b$6,"<="&$d2,$c$2:$c$6,">="&$d2)

Upvote 0
e2=countifs($b$2:$b$6,"<="&$d2,$c$2:$c$6,">="&$d2)

Thank you for your help in this matter but, unfortunately, I tried countifs before posting here and, although I appreciate your efforts for me, I pasted your formula into my Excel file but I do not get a result when I refer to the appropriate cells.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help in this matter but, unfortunately, I tried countifs before posting here and, although I appreciate your efforts for me, I pasted your formula into my Excel file but I do not get a result when I refer to the appropriate cells.

I used it with the sample data you have provided above and it works.. might be because of the data type of the time stamps..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back