Trendline does not show up in chart - does in legend

bmwill

I have a table with 4 consecutive years and corresponding values for expenses - it does not get simpler than that....
When I ask for a trendline, the line shows up in the legend, but not on the chart. Selecting the markers does not enable 'clear trendline'. In a 'select all', it does not show up.
So the legend knows it is there but the rest does not?

Tried making new data file, with no copying, just typing the numbers.
Quit and restarted Excel. Restarted the laptop. Still no trendline. Went through all options - can't spot any setting that would make it invisible.

Mac OS 10.5.8, excel 2004.
- now, I've made hundreds of trendlines in the past so something new must have happened?
I tried it with the same data on an XP-windows machine: same problem!
A colleague on a mac (10.4 I think, Excel 2008): same problem.

I am totally stumped: Can anyone help?
bmw

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Does the scale of the y-axes account for the position of the trendline? i.e. are you sure the trendline isn't off the chart?

Upvote 0
Nope, that is not it - and, anyway, the points are in view, bright and clear.
Good thought, but no.
bmw

Upvote 0
So you can see the markers for the trendline, but just no line? And the formatting of the line definitely has a colour and isn't the same colour as the Plot Area?

Upvote 0
Correct. I even changed to an orange line - which showed fine in the legend, but still nothing on the chart.
bmw

Upvote 0
Can you post the source data so I can try to recreate what you are seeing?

Upvote 0
Certainly. Thanks.

X: years, Y log-scale 10 - 1000. Denmark uses comma as decimal, 'Denmark' set as region in sysprefs. I just repeated it with just this set in a new sheet - still same problem. I also used the simple numbers - same problem.

bmw

(I'm leaving this in for you - shoes up after hitting 'preview post')
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> ****** name="ProgId" content="Excel.Sheet"> ****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Excel 11">
<link id="Main-File" rel="Main-File" href="file://localhost/Users/Berthepwr/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip1/01/clip.htm"> <style> <!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\,"; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\.";} td {padding:0px; mso-ignore:padding; color:windowtext; font-size:10.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Verdana; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;} .xl24 {mso-number-format:"\#\,\#\#0\.0";} --> </style> <table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="225"> <!--StartFragment--> <col span="3" width="75"> <tbody><tr height="13"> <td x:num="2006.0" align="right" height="13" width="75">2006</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="14.316695" align="right" width="75">14,3</td> <td x:num="14.0" align="right" width="75">14</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="2007.0" align="right" height="13">2007</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="28.919315" align="right">28,9</td> <td x:num="29.0" align="right">29</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="2008.0" align="right" height="13">2008</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="36.04717899999999" align="right">36,0</td> <td x:num="36.0" align="right">36</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="2009.0" align="right" height="13">2009</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="78.153324" align="right">78,2</td> <td x:num="72.0" align="right">72</td> </tr> <!--EndFragment--> </tbody></table> <link id="Main-File" rel="Main-File" href="file://localhost/Users/Berthepwr/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip1/01/clip.htm"> <style> <!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\,"; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\.";} td {padding:0px; mso-ignore:padding; color:windowtext; font-size:10.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Verdana; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;} .xl24 {mso-number-format:"\#\,\#\#0\.0";} --> </style> <table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 83px; height: 32px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <!--StartFragment--> <col span="2" width="75"> <tbody><tr height="13"> <td x:num="2006.0" align="right" height="13" width="75">
</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="14.316695" align="right" width="75">
</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="2007.0" align="right" height="13">
</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="28.919315" align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="2008.0" align="right" height="13">
</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="36.04717899999999" align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="2009.0" align="right" height="13">
</td> <td class="xl24" x:num="78.153324" align="right">
</td> </tr> <!--EndFragment--> </tbody></table>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back