Trying to locate item titles using partial titles

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. Every once in a while I work myself into a corner and can't find the way out. I am running Office 365 (updated) on Windows 10 Home. I have created a worksheet containing data about almost 5,000 songs. I am now trying to generate a weekly play list in a separate worksheet that will locate and access a song title using one or more words from the desired title. I can find the row using the Find/Replace function on the home page. I have perused through the function list, cannot find a function that will search for anything less than the full song title. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The answer is probably going to be a very simple one.
Thank you,
Dan Wilson...

Have you considered using a macro?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
If it helps, here is how the J2 formula works:
=IFERROR(INDEX(DB!$A$2:$I$5,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(DB!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(DB!$A$1))/ISNUMBER(SEARCH($J$1,DB!$A$2:$A$5)),ROWS(J$1:J1)),1),"")

I'll start on the interior of the formula:
SEARCH($J$1,DB!$A$2:$A$5)
This uses the text string that you input in cell J1, and it searches the text strings found in the range described in the main data table...in this case DB!$A$2:$A$5. When SEARCH finds the J1 text string anywhere inside any of those other cells, it will return the position number where the first character matches in that string. For example, a search for "wo" will return a value of 8 when it encounters the song title "What a Wonderful World" and a value of 1 when it encounters the song title "Woman". Any song titles that do not contain the string will return a #VALUE error. The net result of the SEARCH function then is an array whose elements are either a number (meaning that the string was found) or an error. In the example in post #5, that array looks like this: {#VALUE!;#VALUE!;8;1}

We pass the array resulting from the SEARCH function to the ISNUMBER function, and that simply evaluates whether each element in the array is a number, resulting in an array of TRUE's and FALSE's. The same array would then evaluate as: {FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE}

Because we want to know where in the main data table these matching entries can be found, we create an array whose elements begins at 1 for the first row of song data and increase by one for each row in the data table. This is conveniently done by directly referencing the data table using the ROW function:
(ROW(DB!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(DB!$A$1))
The first ROW function in this formula evaluates as {2;3;4;5}, and since we ultimately want to use this approach for creating an actual index to the data table, we subtract off the row number of the row just above the first row...in this case ROW(DB!$A$1), which evaluates as {1}. And then the final indexing array will be {1;2;3;4}...a nice convenient index for the data table.

In the previous paragraph, note that the choice of referencing the data table is completely arbitrary. If you had worksheets named Sheet2 and Sheet3, you could generate the same array with
(ROW(Sheet3!$G$28:$H$31)-ROW(Sheet2!$P$27))
Note that I've mixed sheet names and arbitrarily used different combinations of columns and rows...it doesn't matter...the only thing that really matters is that we lock the row numbers to generate enough elements in the array and that we subtract off the correct amount so that the first element becomes a one. In this case we would have {28;29;30;31} minus {27}, which generates the very same array of {1;2;3;4}. The ROW construction is confusing enough when convenient landmarks on the actual table are referenced, so there is no good reason to do otherwise.

Picking back up with the two arrays that have been generated, we divide the indexing array (from the ROW functions) by the logical array (from the ISNUMBER function that checked whether the string was found in each song title)...so the math looks like this:
{1;2;3;4} / {FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE}
The division operator coerces Excel to treat FALSE as 0 and TRUE as 1, so we have: {1;2;3;4} / {0;0;1;1}
This is equivalent to: { 1/0 ; 2/0 ; 3/1 ; 4/1 }
And since division by 0 is undefined, the resultant array is: {#DIV/0!;#DIV/0!;3;4}
This tells us that the matching string is found in table rows 3 and 4, and we want to ignore any errors (like the #DIV/0! error).

Fortunately, this is readily achieved by operating on this array with the AGGREGATE function. I'll show this more clearly by swapping out the formulas just discussed with the array that they generate...then the AGGREGATE function would look like this:
AGGREGATE(15,6, {#DIV/0!;#DIV/0!;3;4} ,ROWS(J$1:J1) )
The 15 option tells AGGREGATE to return the nth smallest value, where n is given by the last argument, ROWS(J$1:J1). Let's look at that for a moment.. ROWS(J$1:J1) tells us how many rows are found between J$1 and J1, so the answer is just 1. But note that this range is fixed at one end (J$1) and it floats at the other end (J1), so as this formula is pulled down to populate a total of 10 cells (so that as many as 10 songs with partial string matches will be returned), this ROWS construction will return a value of 1 for ROWS(J$1:J1), then 2 for ROWS(J$1:J2), then 3 for ROWS(J$1:J3), and so on. So when n=1, AGGREGATE looks at the array and returns the smallest value, which is 3, and recall that this represents the data table row index where a match is found.

Essentially, the AGGREGATE function generates a list of data table row index numbers that work well with the INDEX function so that the appropriate information can be returned from the main data table. In this case, the first result is INDEX(DB!$A$2:$I$5, 3 ,1), which returns the contents of the third row and first column in the data table DB!$A$2:$I$5, and
the second result is INDEX(DB!$A$2:$I$5, 4 ,1), which returns the contents of the fourth row and first column in the data table DB!$A$2:$I$5.

What about those #DIV/0! errors in the array used by AGGREGATE? The "6" option in AGGREGATE tells the function to ignore them, so we conveniently avoid crashing the formula with an error.
What about cases where AGGREGATE runs out of elements to return? For example, is the case described here, we have two numeric elements (3 and 4), and when AGGREGATE goes to return the 3rd smallest value and finds only #DIV/0! errors remaining in the array, it will generate a #NUM! error. The INDEX function will object to being fed this error, resulting in a #NUM! being returned. To avoid this, and clean up the appearance of the partial-search table, we wrap the entire INDEX function with an IFERROR function, returning a blank should this type of error occur:
=IFERROR(INDEX(DB!$A$2:$I$5,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(DB!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(DB!$A$1))/ISNUMBER(SEARCH($J$1,DB!$A$2:$A$5)),ROWS(I$1:I1)),9),"")

Upvote 0
@mumps, I'm curious...what would a macro/VBA solution look like? Would it use the partial string search block similar to what I describe in post #5, and then could it be interactive, so that the user could click on the preferred song and it would automatically be added to the weekly play list? That would eliminate the extra steps of typing the unique record identification number into the weekly play list and scrolling down the weekly play list table to find the next blank cell available.

Upvote 0
The answer is "Yes" to both questions. It would be easier to help if Dan could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of both sheets and explain in detail what he wants to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from the data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back