Trying to open a 123 file in Excel

djl0525

Is there a way to open a Lotus 123 file in Excel on a PC that does not have 123 installed? Opening the file on a computer that has 123 so I can save it as an Excel file or an earlier version of Lotus is not an option. I don't have 123 nor do I have access to it.

I've been looking all over the internet for a solution and haven't found any. Anybody got any suggestions?

DJ

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Open your excel program first. From its file open command, try to open it then save it as excel 2002 or microsoft office worksheet

Upvote 0
excel should open the 123 files easily because it was made to help 123 users transfer easily to excel. You can even run some macro of 123 to excel . It has even a help file to give you the equivalent function from 123 to excel. Fist you must open excel. Then open the document but changing the file type to "all files". If it cannot open 123, then your 123 files is damaged. You can't open it also in your 123 program.

Upvote 0
I don't have 123. Opening the file in 123 is not an option.

I changed the file type to all files. That's how I can see the file to select it, but Excel will not open it. It says it can not open a 123 file. If I send the 123 to another computer with 123 on it, the file will open just fine so I know it is not damaged.

Any other ideas? Anybody interested in what version of Excel I have? I'm running Excel XP.

DJ

Upvote 0
I am using also excel 2002 which can open 123 files with format up to 123 with extension WK4 . You must have a 123 program that is more updated. As a turnaround, go again to your friends computer with 123 program. Save it as
wk4 extension or wk1 if still not responding. Then open it using excel.

Upvote 0
Yes, the files in question were created and saved by Lotus 123 R9 with the 123 extension. Opening them in 123 and converting them is not a viable option because the company I work for has upgraded their hardware and software. We got new computers with MS Office. No Lotus SmartSuite. Unfortunately, we have not found a way to open our spreadsheets on our new computers without Lotus 123. This is a major dilema, as you can imagine.

Does anybody know of a way to open 123 files (with the 123 extension) in Excel?

Anybody out there know Lotus script? Maybe a script can convert them to .xls files for me.

Desperate,
DJ

Upvote 0
You said when you sent to a computer with 123 it opened okay. Why not send it back to that computer and get them to save it as an Exel file?

I too work for a company that only has MS Office on the new computers, but was able to get "special" permission to install 123.

If you don't have any other access to someone with 123 I could try to open and save the file in Excel for you.

If that works for you post your eMail address and I will then give you an address to send it to.

l

Upvote 0
I appreciate your offer to lend a hand in my file conversion nightmare. :) That is very nice of you, but there's too many files involved.

I think my employer is going to have to do what yours did - install 123 on the new PCs and let users convert their own files. I just wish I knew Lotus Script. I'd write a program to find all the .123 files on the user's HD and convert them to Excel in their current folders. Then we'd uninstall Lotus 123 and call it a day!

Wishful thinking, I guess...

DJ

Upvote 0
I did a google and found smartsuite 9.8 for $10. I only have version 9 so guess I should upgrade.

I recorded a script that opened a .123 file and saved it as an Excel 97 file. The choices were Excell 4, 95 and 97.
123 help says script is compatable with visual basic.

You would need to modify the code to go through all your files and open them and then save them in Excel format. So I believe it could be done.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back