tweak code help

overbet

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
I have this macro I use a lot and I need help changing it. The macro removes case sensitive duplicate values from column A, opposed to Excel's remove duplicates feature that ignores case sensitivity.

Can someone show me how to change this code so that instead of removing case sensitive duplicates from column A it instead removes the case sensitive duplicates from the cells I currently have selected? Also, important that the cells do not shift when the duplicate values are removed. If it makes the other data on the sheet shift it would cause the sheet to not function.

Thank you

Code:
Sub RemoveDupeCase()
    Dim a, e, x
    With Range("a1", Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        a = .Value
        .ClearContents
        With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
            For Each e In a
                .Item(e) = Empty
            Next
            x = .keys
        End With
        .Resize(UBound(x) + 1).Value = Application.Transpose(x)
    End With
End Sub

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Will your selection be a single rectangular range ( eg B4:Z10 or Column F or rows 3:5)?

Or could it be a multi area range made up of disjoint cells/ranges?

Upvote 0
My selection is always row numbers. I select the row number on the left side and drag select the data. I might select rows 8 through 28 for example and it selects all the way across the entire sheet to the last column. 90% of the data in in column A and the data in any other columns would never be duplicate to anything in column A so that is the simplest way for me to select data. Sometimes I hold down ctrl and skip some rows and select rows below what I have drag selected.

nxK2kd.png
SMJX3m.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My selection is always row numbers. I select the row number on the left side and drag select the data. I might select rows 8 through 28 for example and it selects all the way across the entire sheet to the last column. 90% of the data in in column A and the data in any other columns would never be duplicate to anything in column A so that is the simplest way for me to select data. Sometimes I hold down ctrl and skip some rows and select rows below what I have drag selected.
In that case, try this on a copy of your workbook.

Code:
Sub Remove_Dupe_Case()
  Dim d As Object
  Dim c As Range
  Dim s As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  For Each c In Intersect(Selection, Columns("A"))
    s = c.Text
    If Len(s) > 0 Then
      If d(s) = 1 Then
        c.ClearContents
      Else
        d(s) = 1
      End If
    End If
  Next c
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow works like a charm. Thank you so much. That is going to save me a lot of time. I have been copying and pasting the data into a blank sheet in column A then running the macro I had, then pasting the clean data back into the source. Thank you again. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back