Unusual formula? Meaningful or not?

au2010

From a vendor work with, I received an Excel file with formulas giving the product of two other cells - for example, cell C3 should be the product of cells A3 and B3. But instead of simply using the formula =A3*B3, the vendor used the following:

=SUM(A3*B3).

I don't think I've ever seen that before. Does the "SUM" formula have any meaning or function in this case? It gives the correct result, but it doesn't seem to do anything that =A3*B3 couldn't do. I can't decide if this is something so advanced that I've never seen it before, or if it just means that my vendor doesn't know much about Excel. My guess is the latter, but I'm not certain.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I don't think I've ever seen that before. Does the "SUM" formula have any meaning or function in this case?
I can't decide if this is something so advanced that I've never seen it before, or if it just means that my vendor doesn't know much about Excel.
I have seen many people do it. It is the later of the two. It is usually a tip-off that the person doesn't quite know that much about Excel.
As you can see, it is totally unnecessary and adds nothing of value (and can be confusing).

My favorite is when I see something like this:
=SUM(A1+B1+C1)

Upvote 0
I thought that was a throwback to Lotus 1-2-3 !!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've used the SUM function to avoid #VALUE error in case there's Text in the cells, like SUM(A1) or SUM(A1:A2), but the sample pointed out by OP and Joe4 just don't make sense.

BTW, I've been asked why SUM(A1:A2) when you can just A1+A2, the reason is as I stated earlier.

Upvote 0
So, as I suspected, it just means my vendor doesn't know much about Excel. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've used the SUM function to avoid #VALUE error in case there's Text in the cells, like SUM(A1) or SUM(A1:A2), but the sample pointed out by OP and Joe4 just don't make sense.

BTW, I've been asked why SUM(A1:A2) when you can just A1+A2, the reason is as I stated earlier.

Im not sure i can think of any time when i would want to avoid an error when summing two cells that excel couldnt sum. Surely the error is more appropriate.

Upvote 0
Im not sure i can think of any time when i would want to avoid an error when summing two cells that excel couldnt sum.

A​
B​
C​
1​
Value
Cumu
2​
2​
#VALUE!​
B2: =A2+B1
3​
3​
#VALUE!​
4​
5​
#VALUE!​
5​
6​
Value
Cumu
7​
2​
2​
B7: =SUM(A7,B6)
8​
3​
5​
9​
5​
10​

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back