Unwanted Excel Upgrade

Photomofo

A year or two ago I bought the newest Excel software. Unfortunately, the new software is incompatible with the all the VBA code I've been developing over many years - i.e. the computer crashes every other time I run a simulation that works fine with the old stuff. I use the old stuff at work so everything is lovely as far as I'm concerned.

My problem is that Microsoft's latest system upgrade included an Excel upgrade that's blocking me from loading all my hundreds of Excel files. This seems like bribery.

Has anyone dealt with this. Is there an easy fix?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
It is very rare that VBA is not backward compatible and you don't state exactly what "Excel upgrade" you are on about.
Are you sure that you aren't on about the security upgrade that blocks downloaded (or emailed) files?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rare? Hmm... I'm not lying about the VBA code crashing frequently after the attempted upgrade. You can blame my hairball VBA code if you like but it ran fine 99% of the time with 2007 Excel installed. My laptop is only a few months old. This doesn't look like a security upgrade. This looks like an upgrade to the latest version of Office that I have no interest in using.

I've uninstalled excel and am attempting to repair the earlier version. I don't see why this won't work but I'd appreciate any additional advice. I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else has seen this unsolicited "upgrade" situation - I believe it happened yesterday.

Upvote 0
Rare? Hmm... I'm not lying about the VBA code crashing frequently after the attempted upgrade. You can blame my hairball VBA code if you like but it ran fine 99% of the time with 2007 Excel installed.

I didn't say that you were lying, I stated that it is rare for code not to be backward compatible (rare not never, for example the doing away of filesearch in 2007 and later).
The main issues I am aware of between 2007 and 2013/2016 VBA normally revolve around the changes to the way protection is handled in the most recent versions.

As for any "hairball VBA code", it isn't my place to judge (and couldn't anyway as you haven't posted any examples of your code).

this unsolicited "upgrade" situation - I believe it happened yesterday.

As for any upgrade happening yesterday then that wouldn't be version related issue, it would be an issue around the update coding and it wouldn't be unsolicited as you can prevent automatic installs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your passive aggressive input isn't helpful. I'm drowning here and you're describing the water. I don't care that it's spring, soda or salt water. I've never had any software "upgraded" to a newer version (a jump from 2007 to 2016) such that it's effectively disabled. This upgrade looks a lot like ransom-ware to me. Heads up to those who haven't seen this.

The problem is fixed. I uninstalled 2016 and reinstalled 2007.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back