Upcoming Due Dates Conditional Formating

JJgold

I have created a trademark tracking spreadsheet (which I was trying to attach but cant quite figure out how to do). I am stuck on highlighting cells when a due date is approaching.

For example, I have a formula in cell M1 that returns a due date of 6 months from the date in cell L1. Now I want to conditionally format cell M1 to turn Blue when the due date (M1) is between 4-3 months from today, Orange when it is 3-2 months to the deadline yellow when it is 2-1 month from the deadline and red when it is 1 month - the actual due date.

I also need help with a very similar situation. I have a formula in W1 that returns the date 5 years from the date in L1 and a formula in X1 that returns the date 5 years 12 months and 30 days from the date in L1 (basically a document must be filed between the 5th and 6th year of the registration date [Cell L1]. I want to conditionally format Cell A1 different colors based on how far out the due date is. For example, A1 turn green from the start of the 5 years it will turn and stay green for 3 months. then I want A1 to turn blue when the due date is 9 months out from today (and stay blue) then turn orange when 6 months out from today and stay orange until 3 months from today in which case it will turn yellow and stay yellow until 1 month before the deadline and the red when today is 30 days- the actual due date.

I have a sample to upload if someone can point out how to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Here is a basic idea on conditional formatting formulas to accomplish this:

BLUE =IF(($M$1-TODAY()>90)*($M$1-TODAY()<121),1,0)
ORANGE =IF(($M$1-TODAY()>60)*($M$1-TODAY()<91),1,0)
YELLOW =IF(($M$1-TODAY()>30)*($M$1-TODAY()<61),1,0)
RED =IF(($M$1-TODAY()<=30),1,0)

These formulas aren't completely accurate on a strict month basis in their calculations, however hopefully this gives you a rough idea on how to tackle this. Perhaps someone here has a more elegant solution. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you. I will give it a shot. But what do you mean by not completely accurate on a strict month basis? Will it at least warn me before the due date? Also, what is the function of the *?

Upvote 0
I just used a 30 days per month calculation so won't be spot on for actual months if that is what you want.

The asterisks are part of the Boolean style arguments I used. Basically if both statements on each side of the asterisk are true then the color change will happen, if false then they won't.

Upvote 0
I just used a 30 days per month calculation so won't be spot on for actual months if that is what you want.

The asterisks are part of the Boolean style arguments I used. Basically if both statements on each side of the asterisk are true then the color change will happen, if false then they won't.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back