Update cell references based on worksheet name

shayward

I am creating a spreadsheet which contains company data for each financial period in order to monitor the company progress. Currently I have a worksheet for period one containing formulas which refer to another worksheet where I have imported lots of data.

I would like to create worksheets for each subsequent period after this, so all of the formulas will stay the same, but each period I will import new data into a new worksheet.

For example, I currently have two worksheets called 'Period 1' and 'Period 1 data'. I would now like to create 'Period 2' and 'Period 2 data' worksheets. I would like to copy the 'Period 1' formulas but have them automatically update when I rename the worksheet to 'Period 2' so that they refer to the 'Period 2 data' worksheet rather than the 'Period 1 data' worksheet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You should be able to do this with a Find and Replace (Ctrl+H).

Once you've copied the sheets and renamed them "Period 2" and "Period 2 data" respectively, use Find and Replace to replace "Period 1" in each formula with "Period 2".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoffk036

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back