URGENTTTTTTTTT!!!! I REALLY NEED HELP - VLOOKUP

Sami

Board Regular
I have created a VLOOKUP for searching for the product name in the product workbook when the product ID has been entered:

=VLOOKUP(ProductID,Products.xls!ProductTable,1,FALSE)

However although this should work i dont know why it keeps coming back with #NA
????

Sami,

did you follow the link that Paul suggested ?

it seems to explain and solve exactly the same problem you have

Not only just it just *tell* you how to do it but it also explains how it's made up so you can understand it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
hey i tried that and i came up with this code:

=INDEX(ProductID,MATCH(ProductName,FALSE),1)

This isnt the correct code and i dont know whats wrong. some1 plz help im a begginer.

Upvote 0
don't forget to tell match what to match... you've got the named range with which you want it to look at, but you forgot to tell it what you want it to look for, so nearly there

=match(what, where, FALSE)

you have just =match(where,FALSE)

(also, don't forget you have two different workbooks so you might have to remember to include the relevant worksheet names : I think you're okay with the syntax of this judging by your first entry on this post)

Hope this makes sense
Chris

Upvote 0
hey ive tried this:

=INDEX(ProductID,MATCH(ProductID,Products.xls!ProductTable,FALSE),1)

but that doesnt work either

i want it to use the ProductID in the sales workbook and in the products workbook use the Product ID to get the Product Name and insert it??? PLEASEEEE help me out with the code

Upvote 0
your second "productID" is a named range of cells.... remember that in a match all that you want to do is look at a single cell first (ie "what" then "where"), not a whole list

also, your product table bit in the formula, again, is a table, not just a single column. As the example says, you need just a single column here to interrogate. This should be easy if you've named it like in your productid range

lastly, you're asking index to look at productid range in the very first part of your arguement where what you actually want returned is the info in your productname range, so as with the above, try replacing that first section so it looks at the range you named in respect of productname

you were nearly there first off, just a bit muddled up

does this help ?
Chris
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-03-17 05:43
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-03-17 05:45
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-03-17 05:47

Upvote 0
this kinda helps but i really need a code!!!!

all the columns are labled like ProductID etc...

Upvote 0
Sami,

you already have your code, you did it yourself....

To be blunt, normally, I'd just post the answer. However, we're all aware that this is an A-level project so it's maybe not going to help you just giving you answers on a plate. You need to go into your exams understanding a) the formulas you are armed with and b) where you went wrong on the path to understanding them

Maybe I'm wrong, but I strongly believe that the best help you students can get from this board when it's directly attributable to coursework is patient steering in the right direction and an explanation so you can understand, not just an answer.

Maybe I'm not the best explainer either, but if you have your named ranges for all your columns then my suggestions above should solve your problem : you really are close !

Chris

Upvote 0
hey i done it thanks!!! can you answer any of my other questions please if you have time! much appreaciated!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back